Turning points in the ongoing strike of Lekwa workers were firstly, the arrest of seven protesters on 2 September and secondly, the statement of the mayor on Saturday, 5 September.
Members of the South African Municipal Workers Union (Samwu) have been holding the town hostage since 3 August.
Protest action intensified last week when tractor tyres were set alight, causing columns of black smoke to spiral upwards in a street filled with rubble.
Overturned and broken rubbish bins and a few liquor bottles testified to the dissatisfaction of employees.

Motorists had to avoid the intersections east and west of Mbonani Mayisela Street on Tuesday, 1 September and a police presence was noticeable the following day.
Standerton Police were at the scene with several officers and vehicles and apprehended Mr Kayoni Motaung, Ms Nompumelo Zimu, Ms Sibongile Mashie, Ms Thandi Dlamini, Mr Michael Hlatswayo, Ms Lindiwe Maseko and Ms Joyce Mshayise.
They appeared in the Standerton Magistrate’s Court on Friday, 4 September on a charge of public violence.
According to the communications officer of the Standerton Police, W/O Nkosinati Khanyile, bail was set at R1 000 each.
Reports of police using rubber bullets were received and the Standerton Advertiser investigated, making enquiries to establish the veracity of such of such claims.
It could not be confirmed on Monday, 7 September.

Mr Linda Dhlamini, mayor, entered the fray on Saturday, 5 September with a statement outlining the municipality’s position.
According to the statement, attempts were made since 4 August to hold meetings with parties in the Lekwa Labour Forum to resolve the issues.
A political task team has been established that is attending to all the demands in the memorandum, including the non-functionality of the forum.
A reference was made to the urgency of addressing the labour dispute.
Mr Dhlamini said furthermore that the Samwu-leadership is expected to brief its membership on their approach and that the safety of workers and the community is their major priority.

With regard to working conditions, the forum will be consulted.
According to him, the Covid-19 matters are attended to without any delay and the remaining demands in the memorandum will be addressed.
“We believe that any conflict can be properly resolved through engagement,” the mayor said.
He called on workers to return to work and allow the structures mentioned above to finalise all issues.
In conclusion, an apology was extended to the community for the hardship caused by the strike.




