Local news

JRA to monitor temporary traffic-calming measure for 3 months

No accidents have been reported since JRA installed its temporary traffic calming measure on Pretoria and Victoria streets in Oaklands.

Johannesburg Roads Agency’s (JRA) temporary traffic calming measure along Pretoria and Victoria streets in Oaklands may be new, but the community has been receptive to the solution to ongoing accidents.

Last month, during a public meeting at Vintage and Veteran Club House, a JRA representative outlined plans to introduce traffic-calming measures as a response to the frequently reported car crashes on these roads.

A journalist met with resident, Natalia Morse on August 18, who said the temporary traffic-calming measure was well received.

Read more: M1 bridge to be repaired by JRA

“I am pleased that JRA have installed this temporary solution to the many car crashes that have been happening as a result of cars crossing the intersection. I have been watching the site and can report that we haven’t had any crashes.”

Morse added that after a bit of confusion about the traffic calming measure, motorists who are community members have accepted it and have actively tried to stop people from doing U-turns around it.

She also noted that traffic peak times have been a much-ordered affair.

@caxtonjoburgnorth

WATCH: Resident Natalia Morse gives an update about the state of Pretoria and Victoria streets in Oaklands since JRA introduced a temporary traffic-calming measure. Video: Asanda Matlhare #Rosebank #Oaklands #JRA #Traffic

♬ original sound – Caxton Joburg North – Caxton Joburg North

JRA’s acting head of department in mobility and freight, Sipho Nhlapo, explained that the temporary traffic-calming measure would be in place for at least three months.

“The duration will depend on the impact the barriers have on reducing crashes at the intersection as well as the impact on the surrounding road network due to the diversion of traffic.”

Nhlapo added that JRA will monitor accidents at the intersection and compare them to the historic crash records over the past 18 months.

Also read: Truck load spills on M1 North, causing traffic disruptions

“If there is a reduction in right-turn accidents as well as through-movement crashes, the barrier will be working. If the temporary solution is successful, the JRA plans to implement a permanent median island, but this will depend on the availability of funds.”

Ward 74 councillor, Belinda Kayser-Echeozonjoku, said she was pleased with the petition and public participation process that was followed, in line with city requirements, and that implementation was underway.

“There is a real sense of relief from residents who have fought for this intervention. I’m equally relieved to see decisive action being taken to improve safety, prevent further crashes and help save lives.”

Follow us on our Whatsapp channelFacebookXInstagram and TikTok for the latest updates! 

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rosebank Killarney Gazette in Google News and Top Stories.

Asanda Matlhare

Asanda is a Rosebank Killarney Gazette multimedia Journalist. She covers community-related affairs. Asanda was previously an intern at The Star and The Citizen Newspaper

Related Articles

Back to top button