
JOHANNESBURG SOUTH – Following the interruption of water supply in Gauteng last year, the provincial government has established a contingency plan to deal with issues of water and sanitation in the province, Sibongile Baloyi reported.
The Gauteng Water and Sanitation Forum was officially launched on Monday February 2 by Gauteng Premier David Makhura and MEC for Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Jacob Mamabolo.
“The people of Gauteng can rest assured knowing that if a problem of this nature occurs again, it will be managed effectively by the Water and Sanitation Forum,” said Premier Makhura.
Premier Makhura said the forum was established to deal with water infrastructure challenges. “We want to emphasise that Gauteng is not facing a water crisis, but we are taking proactive steps to ensure water security in the province.”
Addressing the media in Johannesburg, the provincial government said they were in talks with the Water and Sanitation Ministry about infrastructure investment to ensure water security in Gauteng. The forum will improve intergovernmental relations.
Premier Makhura said acid mine drainage and aging infrastructure were some of the challenges impacting on water and sanitation in the province. “Acid mine drainage can become our biggest threat, but there are technologies to be explored to recycle the water.”
Speaking on behalf of the Water and Sanitation Ministry, Deputy Director General Anil Singh said national government is working closely with the forum to ensure water security.
“We are very pleased with the work of the Gauteng Provincial Government and their commitment to dealing with issues of water and sanitation,” he said.



