No development in abandoned restaurant saga
As the restaurant has been empty for so long, vandals stripped the premises bare.

The Rhodes Park restaurant premises were vacated a few years ago, as it was alleged that the previous owner was running an illegal shebeen.
When the building went empty, the Joburg Property Company (JPC) was accused of making it difficult for other tenants to take over and lease the property.
As the restaurant has been empty for so long, vandals stripped the premises bare.
“In the past, I tried to have new tenants brought forward but unfortunately city council’s red tape became a problem. A year ago a lease was signed by an organisation but they did not honour the lease, therefore the lease was terminated,” said the ward 66 councillor at the time, Clr Carlos da Rocha.
He said the restaurant is in such a state that it requires millions of Rands to refurbish and repair.
“Usually, in order for JPC to lease any property, it usually goes on legal tender and unfortunately that system causes this council property to reach a point of decay. I’m sure that from the private sector, should anyone have an interest in this restaurant I would motivate the JPC to look into a lease possibility, which I have done before,” said Clr Da Rocha.
“I do understand that the city council has no budget to repair and secure this building. The city is not planning on renovating the restaurant in the near future,” he said.
The EXPRESS has, on numerous occasions, published articles highlighting concerns about the Rhodes Park restaurant.
An inquiry was sent to Ms Bliss Yeni, from the City of Joburg Property Company on July 25 and comment was requested by July 27.
At the time of going to print, no comment had been received.



