CrimeNews

Suspect pleads guilty in Monte murder

JOBURG - Sentencing proceedings in the trial of Maruschka Robinson and Jean-Piere Malan continued today at the Palm Ridge Magistrates’ Court.

UPDATE 18 August; 2.44 pm

Judge, Delize Smith has indicated that she will impose sentence in the Monte Murder case on Thursday 20 August.

 

18 August; 2.37 pm

Labelled as a modern day Bonnie and Clyde, the pair are scheduled to be sentenced in the murder and fraud case of Dustan Blom, who was found dead in the boot of his car in a parking lot at Montecasino in September 2013.

In the High Court sitting in Palm Ridge on 18 August, both Malan and Robinson pleaded not guilty on a robbery charge, but State prosecutor Zaais van Zyl was able to get Robinson to admit the pair had planned to use violence to get Blom’s money.

Also read Accused gambled and laughed after Monte murder

Malan, who had previously denied murder, admitted to the court that he had killed Blom and was very sorry for his actions.

In a moving testimony, Julie Padgett, Blom’s younger sister told the court what a sensitive soul her brother had been.

An emotional Padgett said, “I’ll never forget what destruction you have caused. The last 23 months were a long and painful road.”

Jesse Penton, Robinson’s attorney, argued that Robinson played a passive role in the murder, and that Malan was the mastermind behind Blom’s death.

Also read Judge reviews South Africa’s ‘Bonny and Clyde’ evidence in the Monte Murder

“Robinson is a first offender and has already been behind bars for two years… Robinson has taken responsibility for her actions. She wanted money not murder,” he said.

The trial continues following the lunchtime break.

Join the Joburg North Local News WhatsApp group and get live news updates sent straight to your phone. Just send a WhatsApp message with your name and surname to 079 439 5345.

 

You may also be interested in:

Monte murder case transferred to High Court

Monte Murder victim ‘drugged before death’

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Fourways Review in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button