Diepsloot Ext 6 residents sit in the dark for 15 months
Diepsloot Ext 6 residents say they have suffered for over a year, after Eskom removed 35 transformers without warning, leaving hundreds of households and businesses without electricity.
Residents of Diepsloot Ext 6 say they have gone more than 15 months without electricity, after Eskom removed 35 transformers in August last year.
This left many families in the dark and sparked growing frustration in the community.
Resident Mike Maake reported that the outage started on August 21, 2024, when Eskom technicians arrived with heavily armed security personnel. Without any notice, they allegedly removed 35 transformers that provided power to parts of the community.
Read more: Electricity theft and vandalism cost Ward 93 residents dearly, says councillor
Eskom later said the transformers were removed because of illegal connections, however, Maake disagrees, arguing that Ext 6 relies on legal Eskom supply lines, and that the affected streets contain formal RDP houses, not informal settlements. “We were shocked. They came in, took 35 transformers, and left us in the dark. We are legally connected, yet we were treated like people who steal electricity.”

After community outcry, residents say Eskom offered a compromise: Households would pay fines, and the transformers would be returned. The community agreed, but so far, the utility has replaced only 11 out of the 35 transformers. Maake said this partial restoration has caused tension among residents, as some households have electricity while others remain completely without power.
The ongoing blackout has created daily challenges for hundreds of families. Without electricity, residents can’t refrigerate food, operate medical equipment, heat or cool their homes, or charge their phones. Small businesses, that depended on electricity, have also had to close, or reduce operations, leading to major financial losses.
Also read: Which appliances use the most electricity in your home?
“For some of us, this is now a crisis,” said Maake. “We are trying to live normal lives, with children, elderly people, and people who are sick, but we can’t even keep food from going bad.”
Maake said they have repeatedly contacted senior Eskom officials at the Mnandi office, but they say the responses have been vague or inconsistent. Earlier this year, a memorandum was submitted to the presidency at the Union Buildings, yet residents claim there has been no clear long-term plan communicated to them.

After one year and three months, the community is still uncertain about when the remaining transformers will be restored. “We have followed every instruction Eskom gave us, including paying fines, but we are still in the dark. We are asking for answers, and for Eskom to fulfill its promise.”
Maake says the community wants what they had before: A reliable and legal electricity supply. “We need help. We need someone to intervene. This situation is draining and unfair.”
Fourways Review reached out to Eskom spokesperson Daphne Mokwena, who referred us to Amanda Qithi Baanyang, who is in the Gauteng cluster in Eskom. More information will be provided once it becomes available.
Follow us on our Whatsapp channel, Facebook, X, Instagram and TikTok for the latest updates and inspiration!



