No decision yet if Sunrise college will be demolished or not
A parent, Pinky Mtsweni, said she was upset about the looming shutdown of the school.
Sunrise Combined College appeared in Tembisa Magistrate’s Court to hear its fate on October 31, when the magistrate was expected to rule on whether or not the school would be demolished.
However, the case was postponed to January 30, 2019, to allow the presiding magistrate to go through an interim report from the human settlements’ ombudsman.
College communications officer Teboho Mokoena said they would continue to render teaching services because the court had not ruled on the matter of the school’s demolition.
He said they were not taking the postponement badly, because they were hopeful of a positive outcome.
“We are positive the magistrate will look at this matter in a different way.
“The ombudsman has allegedly tried to communicate with relevant stakeholders such as the mayoral office and education department, but it has proven to be hard to meet up with those stakeholders,” said Mokoena.
Mokoena said the college had been operating on the land in Phomolong Section for 13 years and the school hoped to serve local and surrounding communities.
He said since the matter had been put off to January, parents who wished to enrol their children could do so.
A parent, Pinky Mtsweni, said she was upset about the looming shutdown of the school.
“Our children cannot be admitted to other schools because they can only understand English and Afrikaans. Some of the children who come from Sunrise Combined College were turned back because our children cannot study in Zulu.
“The government must give the land to Sunrise Combined College so that our children can continue to study,” Mtsweni said.
