Local newsNews

Wellness walk against cancer hosted at Dries Niemandt Park

Sunday morning walk to raise cancer awareness.

Around 200 people took part in a walk against cancer at Dries Niemandt Park on November 10.

Avid walkers, cyclists and runners pledged their support to raise cancer awareness by participating.

The event was hosted by SA United Against Cancer (Sauac), a female-owned organisation based in Johannesburg. The organisation aims to bring about a paradigm shift in the approach to cancer prevention by developing new communication and advocacy methods.

The event was attended by survivors, fighters and those who have lost loved ones.

Sauac founder and coordinator Tshepang Lutshaba joined the walk and later participated in other activities at the park.

She said participants underwent health checks which included health screening services.

“This is our first edition of the walk and we are quite pleased with the response. So many people are impacted by cancer. The name alone is scary and gets a lot of attention; people need to be educated about this. We need to talk about cancer with one another,” said Lutshaba.

Avid walkers at the starting point of the walk at Dries Niemandt Park.

Lutshaba pleaded with the City of Ekurhuleni and other sponsors to ensure such events are hosted more often and cancer centres are set up in as many locations as possible.

The event was hosted in partnership with the metro, and, Advocate Modise Koetle, who is the divisional head of the youth directorate in the office of the executive mayor, also attended.

“We joined the campaign to destigmatise and remove associations of shame surrounding cancer. We want to make it an annual event every November. We want to invite young people in particular,” said Koetle.

SAFM partnered with the group, providing a space to discuss cancer and other health issues on radio and the station’s digital platforms.

Acting station manager of SAFM Kina Nhlengethwa said the event was relevant after the passing of veteran broadcaster Xolani Gwala, who died at the age of 44 after succumbing to a lengthy battle with cancer.

Lindiwe Sijiyo, a cancer survivor, said she discovered a lump in her breast and was later diagnosed with breast cancer.

“To me, it was a death sentence. But help came my way through chemotherapy and other forms of treatment. I was declared cancer-free and I have been living a healthy life since then,” said Sijiyo.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Kempton Express in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button