Heavily armed gang of 12 attacks CIT van on N2 in KZN

A group of CIT robbers ambushed a cash van on the N2 near KwaMashu, using explosives to access the money.

A section of the N2 highway near the KwaMashu interchange in KZN was closed to traffic on Friday evening following a violent CIT heist involving gunfire, explosives, and a group of heavily armed suspects.

Reports indicate that the gang of about 12 ambushed the vehicle, forced it to stop, and detonated explosives to access the cash inside before fleeing with an undisclosed amount of money, Northglen News reports.

The incident occurred around 18:00, according to controllers at Ensure Security’s E2 KZN Operational Command Centre, who received multiple alerts of gunfire and explosions in the area.

“Emergency services rushed to the southbound carriageway, where they discovered the wreckage of an armoured cash van that had been blown apart by explosives. Reports indicate that about 12 suspects were involved in the robbery,” said Ensure Security spokesperson Kyle van Reenan.

Paramedics from ALS Paramedic Services treated the cash van guards for minor to moderate injuries on scene before transporting them to a nearby hospital for further care.

ALS Paramedics spokesperson Garrith Jamieson, said medics responded to numerous calls of an alleged cash in transit robbery on the N2 in the vicinity of KwaMashu.

“Paramedics arrived on the scene to find SAPS already in attendance with the entire southbound carriageway closed. A cash vehicle had been blown up by unknown suspects.

“Two guards had sustained minor injuries and were treated on the scene by ambulances.”

Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Andrea van Wyk

Caxton’s Digital Editorial Manager. I am a journalist and editor with experience spanning over a decade having worked for major local and national news publications across the country and as a correspondent in the Netherlands. I write about most topics with a special interest in politics, crime, human interest and conservation.
Back to top button