‘Vehicle smuggler’ in stolen Pretoria SUV case remains behind bars

The suspect is linked to a vehicle-smuggling syndicate operating between Gauteng and Beitbridge and was arrested after a high-speed car chase in a vehicle stolen in Garsfontein in the east of Pretoria.

A 34-year-old man will remain detained in prison until today on charges of driving a suspected stolen vehicle heading for the Zimbabwe border last month.

Loaded Maguta, a Zimbabwe national, had appeared in the Polokwane Magistrate’s Court on October 31 to apply for bail.

He previously appeared in court on October 25.

He was arrested two days earlier in Polokwane after a high-speed chase in a vehicle reportedly stolen in Garsfontein in the east of Pretoria.

Maguta’s arrest was a result of a tip-off, leading to police and stakeholders actioning an operation to recover the stolen vehicle.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Hlulani Mashaba said Maguta was remanded in custody until November 2, for further investigation.

Mashaba said Maguta was arrested in a Toyota Fortuner 2.8 reportedly stolen in Garsfontein on October 21.

According to Mashaba, the suspect was linked to a vehicle-smuggling syndicate operating between Gauteng and Limpopo at Beitbridge.

He was also linked to the smuggling of a Toyota Hilux Legend 50 to Zimbabwe earlier in October.

Maguta faces charges relating to the breach of immigration laws, possession of a suspected stolen motor vehicle and driving a motor vehicle without a valid driving licence.

Mashaba said the arrest and recovery were made by the provincial tracking team, Sekhukhune highway patrol (flying squad) and private security companies. The suspect was illegally taking the stolen car on the Berghenk Road into Zimbabwe through Beitbridge.

“An operation was activated and the team spotted the described vehicle. They tried to stop it, but the driver sped off,” said Mashaba.

He said law enforcement gave chase from Kuschke Agricultural School until the driver stopped at the R101 next to Lunds.

“The suspect was immediately arrested for possession of a suspected stolen motor vehicle, driving without a valid licence, and it was also established that he is in the country illegally.”

“Police investigations might link the suspect to more similar cases.”

Limpopo police commissioner Lieutenant-General Thembi Hadebe commended the team for moving swiftly to arrest the suspect.

She also directed it to look into the suspect’s modus operandi to prevent similar incidents from happening again.

Mashaba said police were winning the fight against the smuggling of stolen motor vehicles after another arrest this week on October 31.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Andrea van Wyk

Caxton’s Digital Editorial Manager. I am a journalist and editor with experience spanning over a decade having worked for major local and national news publications across the country and as a correspondent in the Netherlands. I write about most topics with a special interest in politics, crime, human interest and conservation.
Back to top button