
A “climate of fear” was cited at the Inkosi Langalibalele Local Municipality council meeting last Thursday at the Wembezi Multipurpose Centre.
The recent ambush on co-worker and fellow proportional representation councillor Mthembeni Majola, among other incidents, has led councillors to fear for their safety.
READ: IFP councillor Mthembeni Majola shot dead
Getting down to the business of the day, ahead of the formalities, Municipal Manager Patrick Mkhize announced that some councillors were absent due to other work-related commitments.
Councillors thereafter asked why the council meeting was not declared a special one instead of an ordinary council meeting. This comes after Cllr TP Dubazane expressed his concern about the safety of councillors at the previous council meeting, which precipitated a long discussion.
It was said that a threat assessment report would be compiled to be tabled at the special meeting, which should have taken place on September 26.
Various councillors began to share the same sentiments with regards to their safety. It was established that council wanted an urgent special council meeting to be held to address the security issue.
“To us, as councillors, security is important. We do not want to get hurt. We are tired of crooks roaming the roadside to attack. We want a special council meeting. Without our lives, we cannot serve the community,” said Councillor Dubazane.
Council agreed on the importance of the projects item, but also agreed that security needs to be addressed.
ALSO READ: Okhahlamba Local Municipality Speaker narrowly escapes shooting
Out of the blue, National Freedom Party (NFP) supporters filled the gallery with the apparent aim of disrupting the meeting.
The NFP marched to the municipal building the previous day to hand over a memorandum. One of the NFP supporters eventually took to his feet, raising his hand to get noticed.
The man was heard asking council to stop dealing with matters of irrelevance and tell him why no Al-Jama-ah councillors represented the party at the council meeting.
The Speaker, Councillor Mdakane, made an effort to calm the man by telling him they would tend to his question following the Road Accident Fund (RAF) presentation. Refusing to accept that, he, along with his fellow supporters, began grumbling and decided to walk out.
Siphamandla Gumbi from the RAF, along with three other colleagues, gave a presentation to the council. He said that the RAF provides personal injury and (when applicable) death compensation to those injured in motor vehicle accidents. In addition, anyone injured on a South African road can claim, and this was possible because everyone contributes to the RAF when purchasing petrol or even diesel.
It was said that the RAF also settles the bill of caregivers and home improvements with things such as railings and ramps, and in some cases pays for burial arrangements.
Mr Gumbi went on to invite council to their ‘On the Road’ outreach campaign hosted on September 28.
Councillors took part in a brief question and answer session, during which most councillors conveyed queries on behalf of the ward they represent.
After lunch, the meeting drifted back to the security matter, which grew heated, leading to the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) councillors walking out.
This came after Mr Mkhize announced that security was previously a financial burden on the already cash-strapped municipality.
“Strict action was taken and all municipalities were asked to re-look at having bodyguards. So we cut out all bodyguards and this began with senior management and councillors. If you feel threatened in the execution of your duties, follow the threat assessment procedures,” he said.
Councillors were heard saying that the threat assessments are done in vain and also questioned if they would be alive after a threat assessment.
Although the members who remained met the quorum of the meeting as required, no resolutions could be made in the IFP’s absence.
Following a few suggestions, the remaining council decided to end the meeting, which would have to continue at a later date, with the projects items having to be discussed at an Executive Committee (EXCO) meeting.
African National Congress (ANC) Chief Whip Councillor Nkosana Mazibuko approached the Estcourt News, saying the following: “We are not happy that the IFP walked out knowing that we had an important item to discuss. This means we are failing to serve our community.”
NOW READ: IFP leader escapes armed ambush in Rensburgdrift
Click to receive news links via WhatsApp. Or for the latest news, visit our webpage or follow us on Facebook and Twitter



