Local newsMunicipalNewsUpdate

Fire Department comes under fire for ‘pathetic’ service

Locals want the line to be drawn following the frightful responses to fires reported from Friday

Residents fear the worst following the article announcing that there are no fully functional firefighting vehicles, in last week’s edition.

READ IT HERE: Fire services in the red

Is the Estcourt Fire Department in the red?

Sadly, a frantic Wembezi resident watched her valuables go up in flames due to there being no firefighting services to respond to her emergency call; anyone’s worst nightmare.

A fire broke out here on Friday, threatening this home and its occupants.

The Umtshezi Fire Protection Service was called to assist with a fire in Wembezi on October 18. Upon arrival, two vehicles were on fire in the garage. The flames engulfed the vehicles, garage and part of the house closest to the garage.

The panicked homeowner had no other option but to look on helplessly after calls were made to emergency services, who said that they had been alerted but had no vehicles to assist. Quick-thinking community members managed to extinguish the blaze using buckets of water before neighbouring farmers came to the rescue.

This was unfortunately too late to prevent the vehicles from suffering extensive damage.  Police spokesperson Warrant Officer Basheer Khan confirmed that fortunately no one was injured.

A paramedic, who asked not to be named for fear of victimisation, said, “What about the rescue resources we need ALL year-round, such as the hydraulic rescue tools used for trapped patients? Private rescue vehicles are not always available and a few incidents have occurred where we have waited over two hours for assistance. What’s going to happen when we call for the fire department to help us move a large patient who is too heavy for only two paramedics to move?”

The paramedic contacted a large private company in a neighbouring town, that has a rescue vehicle to assist in emergency cases.  Amid the death and despair at Sunday’s fatal crash near Lowlands, David Allen, while wading through smoke and debris, came to a sickening realisation.

“We have zero fire services in Estcourt. If my car caught alight and I was trapped inside, who would rescue me? This makes me very worried,” he said.

One of the vehicles burst into flames; one person was killed immediately, while a woman escaped from the burning wreckage with severe burns.  An occupant in the second vehicle also died as a result of the impact of the collision.

SEE IT:  PHOTOS: ‘Horror’ N3 crash leaves two dead and one seriously injured

While emergency and rescue services sped to the scene, Mr Allen says the one thing that was conspicuous in its absence was the Inkosi Langalibalele Fire & Rescue Service. Emergency services from as far as Mooi River were on scene.

“There was nothing from the Estcourt Fire Service. Even if the other vehicles have been taken away, where is our bakkie that helped at the Clover fire?” questioned Mr Allen.

While he acknowledges that the fire services may not have been able to save the lives of the vehicle occupants, he reasons that the need to control the fire on scene, which was spreading onto the centre median, was vital.

“It was a shocking realisation that if there is a fire or rescue situation in our town, we will not get help from local services. This makes me nervous,” he added.

Former fire chief George van Niekerk shares similar sentiments, calling the fire service “pathetic”.

“If there is a major fire, what will happen? They can’t say ‘I’m sorry’ because the municipality is obliged to provide this essential service,” said Mr van Niekerk.

Serving the local municipality as fire chief for more than 20 years and Imbabazane Municipality for three years, Mr van Niekerk says that even if the municipality procures fire vehicles, staff is not properly trained to operate the vehicles. In addition to training, he says that a lack of management is driving emergency services further into a rut.

“I have offered to help because the municipality desperately needs management in this department. I have heard that they may get a new vehicle this week, but then when they don’t pay, it will be taken back. Where will that leave us?” he commented.

Outspoken resident Angela Keyter found herself on the receiving end of what she also termed “pathetic” service on Monday evening.  At about 8pm, Mrs Keyter noticed smoke billowing through rooftops coming from the direction of Drummond Road.

When calling the emergency services to report the fire, Mrs Keyter says she was promptly told there were no vehicles available.

“There was no concern, no help and no alternate solution provided. By 9.30pm, the fire was getting worse. I noticed that at about 9.45pm, it started to subside and then I was told that some farmers and residents had helped to extinguish it,” explained Mrs Keyter.

“Fire service is an essential service, and households and businesses need it. Even though fire season is over, it’s insane to assume we don’t need the service anymore. We haven’t had good rain and the wind is still blowing, so it’s pretty scary,” she added.

Mrs Keyter says change will come when the municipal management is changed completely. Inkosi Langalibalele Local Municipality has failed to respond to questions from the Estcourt News regarding the fire and rescue services.

ALSO SEE: Clover suffers extensive damage following raging fire

Is the local fire department fit to service Estcourt?

Click to receive news links via WhatsApp. Or for the latest news, visit our webpage or follow us on Facebook and Twitter

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button