Local newsNewcastle Advertiser

Landlord speaks out after municipal blitz inspection on student accommodation

In the aftermath of the municipality's February 27 blitz inspection targeting student accommodation properties in Ward 5, a landlord has come forward to tell her side of the story.

Speaking exclusively and anonymously to the Newcastle Advertiser, the landlord sought to clarify ‘some misconceptions’ that have emerged following the inspection and subsequent reporting.

According to her, her properties meet all required standards and are ‘fully suitable’ for the students who live there. She emphasized that the inspection revealed no significant issues with the condition of the residences, contrary to some claims circulating in the wake of the blitz.

The blitz came in the wake of complaints from residents who say those who have converted their homes into student accommodation have impacted their tranquillity with severe overcrowding – that has strained municipal infrastructure – unbearable noise levels and illegal gatherings by students in the area.

The municipal task team swooped on properties in Amajuba Park, Barry Hertzog Park and Ncandu Park where owners have taken advantage of their proximity to the Majuba TVET College.

According to the municipality’s communication unit, multiple homes were found to have been illegally converted to student accommodation.

Offenders risk being fined up to R50,000 for contravening the Spatial Planning and Land Use Management (SPLUMA) regulations.

However, the owner who spoke out said the danger was that all were ‘ painted with one brush’, which she says is unfair.

She claimed property owners are faced with (municipal) delays and bureaucratic inefficiencies which impact obtaining the necessary housing permits.

She, along with many other property owners in similar situations, has been waiting for months—if not longer—for the municipality to approve the required paperwork permitting student accommodation.

“I understand the need for regulations, and I am not trying to bypass them. The issue of compliance arose with the previous administration. We, as property owners, formalized and formed a group where we encouraged all our members to get the necessary permits. Unfortunately, many of us met significant challenges – including a lack of support from the municipality, which resulted in us not getting our permits, leaving landlords like myself in a frustrating position,” she explained.

“Without the proper documentation, it’s nearly impossible to stay fully compliant with the rules, no matter how hard we try to meet every standard.”

Armed with documentation that shows her efforts in complying, she explained how many landlords like her have ended up facing legal action.

“I take the well-being of my tenants very seriously. These properties were renovated with students in mind, and I’ve consistently worked to provide a clean, safe, and welcoming environment,” she said.

“Any suggestion that they are substandard is simply not true. We’ve always done our best to maintain the properties, and this was reflected in the feedback I’ve received from students living there.”

Given the current challenges, the landlord is asking not only for a more cooperative approach from municipal authorities but also for a grace period to get the necessary permits in order before fines are issued.

“All we want is a chance to get our permits in order before fines are issued,” she said. “If the municipality could do that for the foreign-owned spaza shop owners, why can’t they do that for us?”

The group of landlords has called for the municipality to assign dedicated officials to help landlords navigate the complicated and often confusing paperwork involved in obtaining the necessary permits.

In a meeting last week, the group of landlords approached Ward 5 councillor Ndlovu to request a meeting with the mayor to address the issues.

“We all want the same thing: to provide good housing for students that everyone, including neighbouring residents, is happy with, but we need the municipality to help us get there. It’s important to approach this as a partnership, not as adversaries,” she concluded.



The news provided to you in this link has been investigated and compiled by the editorial staff of the Newcastle Advertiser, a sold newspaper distributed in the Newcastle area. Please follow us on Youtube and feel free to like, comment, and subscribe. For more local news, visit our webpage, follow us on Facebook and Twitter, and request an add on our WhatsApp (082 874 5550).

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button