MunicipalNews

#MunicipalMonday: Another street in Rand West City flooded by sewage

VIDEO: Port Jackson Street in Toekomsrus the latest to be flooded as sewage woes continue in Rand West City.

Residents of Port Jackson Street, Toekomsrus have made a desperate plea to get their sewers unblocked – this after five weeks of reporting the matter has had no result.

According to councillor Gerald Samson, who said he has escalated the matter by sending pictures to the municipality, there hasn’t been any response. Samson said not only was it unfair to leave people in such unpleasant conditions for such a long time, but the situation has worsened.

According to Samson, he is inundated with calls every day from frustrated residents who are saying enough is enough.

“The problem is that the manhole is blocked. I sent the message to the municipality last week on Friday,” Samson said, “but nothing has been done.”

Other drains have also been affected by the situation.

He added that such problems are very common because there is poor maintenance on the overall infrastructure.

We believe that if the infrastructural system was well maintained we would not have these problems,” Samson said. 

Samson said the blockage in Port Jackson Street has also had a ripple effect, resulting in blockages in other drains in the area.

“I feel these people’s pain because I have their complaints on my messages. I’m even more frustrated, because I have sent through reports and escalated the matter to a manager.”

Councillor Gerald Samson said he has escalated the matter, but nothing has come of it.

Robert Paulse, who lives in Port Jackson Street, said he always has to make sure that his doors and windows are closed due to the smell.

“It is quite an unpleasant situation. I am running a business, but people are turning away because of the smell,” Paulse said.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Randfontein Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Clinton Botha

For more than 4 and a half years, Clinton Botha was a journalist at Roodepoort Record. His articles were regularly published in the Northside Chronicle now known as the Roodepoort Northsider. Clinton is also the editor of Randfontein Herald since July 2020. As a sports fanatic he wormed his way into various "beats - as the media would know it - and admits openly that his big love always have something to do with a scoreboard, crowds and usually a ball that hops.

Related Articles

Back to top button