North ex-military shooter found guilty
Four years after Carine van Staden was shot and seriously wounded, ex-military member Jacob Marakalla was found guilty of attempted murder among other charges.
An ex-military man has been found guilty of attempted murder after he shot a young woman in the north of Pretoria in August 2017.
Jacob Marakalla made headlines after he shot and wounded the then 28-year-old Carine van Staden in peak hour traffic in Braam Pretorius Street.
Also Read:
VIDEO: OPVOLG: Pretoria-vrou se toekoms verskeur met een skoot
Magistrate Piet Nel delivered the verdict in the Pretoria North magistrate’s court on Thursday.
Marakalla was found guilty on the charges of attempted murder, pointing a firearm, as well as reckless and negligent driving.
He was previously employed by the South African National Defence Force (SANDF).
In June 2018, the SANDF announced that Marakalla was no longer in their employment.
ALSO READ: Defence force minister condemns alleged abuse by soldiers
Van Staden’s dad Johan said he was pleased that “after four long years” the matter had finally come to a conclusion.
“We can finally breathe easier knowing that justice was served,” he told Rekord on Friday.
Van Staden still suffered health problems relating to the shooting four years ago.
Her dad said she was short of breath most of the time and the emotional trauma of the incident still lingered.
Van Staden told Rekord back then how she was shot in the chest, the bullet missing her heart by millimetres.
She and her fiancé, Johan Harmse, were riding on his motorcycle the day of the shooting.
She told how a car had bumped into them and how she confronted the driver when he stopped at a traffic light.
Marakalla, the driver, shot Van Staden in the chest in front of her fiancé.
Since the shooting she had to endure several operations and procedures.
Van Staden told Rekord in September 2017, that her dream of taking part in a kickboxing world championship was shattered.
Johan said the small consolation now after his daughter’s injury was that she would not have to stress about more court summonses.
“At times we were frustrated with the court proceedings being too slow. But I thank the magistrate and prosecutor for their professional handling of the matter.”
Marakalla will be sentenced on October 19.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
