Local newsNews

Solution for Centurion sinkhole to be completed by June

The site previously had fences enclosing the area, but they were damaged or removed. The metro said the fences were moved temporarily to allow for working space and provisional fencing to protect the area after working hours was used.

Clifton Avenue’s sinkhole is continuing to grow, causing knock-on effects to the surrounding area.

For three weeks from mid-April, the hospice adjacent to the sinkhole site had suffered from repeated sewage leaks on its grounds that had flooded parts of the premises.

A resident who works in the mining, construction and mineral processing industry says she has concerns about the site’s safety.

Nikita van der Westhuizen said the site lacked the proper health and safety measures. She said this during a site visit on Thursday, May 9. “From a safety point of view, this whole area is supposed to be cordoned off .

“Taking into consideration the nature of the construction work, the depth of the sinkhole and the extremely high risk of unauthorised entry, [there is a risk of] gross bodily harm, severe injury, and the possibility of death.” The site previously had fences enclosing the area, but they were damaged or removed.

She said there were no barricades or safety signage at the site near a school. The metro said the fences were moved temporarily to allow for working space and provisional fencing to protect the area after working hours was used.

Despite the safety concerns, the Centurion Hospice said it was grateful that the repeated sewage leaks at the facility had stopped. Spokesperson Hyla van den Berg said the sewage leaks had cost the facility thousands in cleaning and sanitising materials alone.

Van den Berg confirmed that since the metro had made the repairs, there had been no sewage leaks on their premises.

Ward councillor David Farquharson said sewage was flowing as it was supposed to.

He explained a syphon was installed to stop the blockages causing the sewage leaks. “This side of the sinkhole, the sewage flows into the chamber and the pipe on the other side sucks it down. So as long as there is a high enough head, the system should be self-cleaning.”

He said the blockages had caused surrounding properties to clog up. “The last time the hospice had sewage leaks, it was a problem with the sewage line.”

He said the city had cleared the line. Sewage was previously being blocked as the line had to be rerouted around the sinkhole, with several solutions attempted, including pumps to move the sewage through the line.

“Because of the key pipes going through where the sinkhole is, we had to get the pipes across the sinkhole without adding many metres into the sinkhole and up the other side.”

Farquharson said the final pipe should be connected by Wednesday. “Then we still need to do piling,” he said.

“There is some concern that there is still some movement in the sinkhole, so piling is the best option now.”

He said the issue was that the cost of addressing a sinkhole this size was very high, and it would take some time to be rehabilitated.

Metro spokesperson Lindela Mashigo said that sewage line repair was a permanent solution to the problem. “As part of the bridge installation and rerouting of services,
the sewerage line has been rerouted to its permanent position,” he said.

Mashigo said the previous completion date of April 29 was delayed as recent rains caused the sinkhole to grow further,
destabilising the bridge.

“The only solution identified and feasible is piling and the city is in the process of supporting the bridge.”

He said the work was expected to be completed in June

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to bennittb@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button