Local news

Pretoria man sentenced to life behind bars after brutal Lyttelton Manor murders

The Pretoria High Court sentenced Raymond Steven Jan-Erick Smith to two life terms for the brutal murders of a Lyttelton Manor couple in a premeditated robbery.

A 37-year-old from Pretoria has been sentenced to two life terms by the Pretoria High Court for the murder of a Lyttelton Manor couple, along with additional sentences for other violent crimes.

NPA regional spokesperson, Lumka Mahanjana, said Raymond Steven Jan-Erick Smith was handed two life terms for two counts of murder, three years imprisonment for attempted murder, and eight years imprisonment for attempted robbery with aggravating circumstances.

“The court ordered that the sentences run concurrently with life imprisonment, and further declared him unfit to possess a firearm,” she said.

The case stems from an incident earlier this year, when Smith targeted the home of elderly couple Gerald Cantello (74) and Lilian Janson (71) in Lyttelton Manor after seeing their house, valued at R2.7 million, advertised for sale online.

Mahanjana said the online advert contained photographs of several televisions and electronic devices, which caught Smith’s attention.

She said he contacted the estate agent under the pretence of being a potential buyer, and visited the property on January 16 and 20.

“On his third visit, on January 27, around 18:00, he arrived with the intention of robbing the couple.”

“When Cantello opened the door, Smith assaulted him, forced him into the toilet, and tied his hands with a cable tie. Janson came to investigate after hearing the commotion, but Smith overpowered her, tied her up, and forced a rubber ball into both their mouths,” said Mahanjana.

The couple’s son, Grant James Cantello (47), and his wife, Heidi Cantello (47), who lived on the same premises, rushed into the house after hearing screams.

“Smith attacked them with a knife, fatally stabbing both at the scene. Their 16-year-old son also tried to intervene but was stabbed. He managed to escape, locked himself in his bedroom, and called for help.”

Mahanjana noted that Smith fled after the incident, but was arrested the following day, on January 28, at his home while attempting to wash his bloodstained clothes.

In court, the accused pleaded guilty and asked for a lenient sentence, requesting the court to deviate from the prescribed minimum sentences.

However, Advocate Lawrence More, representing the State, argued that the murders were premeditated and carefully planned over 11 days.

He highlighted that Smith had many opportunities to stop, but persisted and that the victims were murdered in their own home, a place where they were supposed to feel safe.

The court also heard victim impact statements facilitated by Court Preparation Officer, Lebogang Lebese.

“The 16-year-old survivor revealed the severe trauma he suffered, saying he had to change schools, which negatively affected his academic performance,” said Mahanjana.

She said that Cantello, who survived the ordeal, spent three weeks in hospital and remains immobile due to his injuries.

“The judge found no substantial and compelling circumstances to justify a lesser sentence and ruled that the prescribed minimum sentences were appropriate.”

Mahanjana added that on July 23, the NPA’s Asset Forfeiture Unit also secured a preservation order against Smith’s 2011 model Nissan X-Trail, valued at R65 000, which was used in the commission of the crimes.

Acting Director of Public Prosecutions Advocate Marika Jansen Van Vuuren praised the efforts of More and Investigating Officer Constable Ronald Ravele from Lyttelton Police Station.

She commended their commitment, which she said ensured the conviction and sentencing of a man who killed innocent people out of greed.

ALSO READ: Several Pretoria drunk drivers nabbed this weekend

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to bennittb@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram or TikTok.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button