Local sportSport

Rising boxing star gets international exposure after winning his second African title

The man widely regarded as Pretoria's next boxing superstar will soon have his chance to fight on the international stage during a high-profile tournament in Europe.

Early in 2020 Jabulani Makhense, who is undoubtedly currently Pretoria’s best emerging professional boxer, will get his big chance to make a breakthrough overseas.

With the help of Golden Gloves promoters, Makhense will fight in Germany on February 8 next year in the same tournament where South Africa’s cruiserweight world champion Kevin Lerena will also defend his International Boxing Organization cruiserweight title against the German veteran, Firat Arslan.

In fact, Makhense is much more than just Pretoria’s best emerging professional boxer. His coach, Sebastian Rothmann, cannot hide his excitement about this young man’s future. According to Rothmann – himself a world champion in his day – Makhense has the ability to become a world star.

South African boxing legend Brian Mitchell also calls him a “future superstar”.

Although Makhense has only climbed through the ropes nine times as a professional boxer, he is already the holder of two continental championship titles.

In February this year he defeated the Xolani Mcotheli from the Eastern Cape in Kempton Park on points to won the vacant World Boxing Association Pan African Super Lightweight title.

Last month he beat the experienced and highly regarded Congolese, Marios Matamba, and thereby he could also write the International Boxing Federation’s Continental Africa Super Lightweigh title behind his name.

This Limpopo native originally came to Pretoria after school to enrol as a student at TUT. However, his parents could not afford the tuition fees and he had to look for another way to secure his future.

That’s how he ended up at Rothmann’s gym. Rothmann said he immediately recognized the young man’s talent and work ethics.

“He is also an intelligent young man who is not only willing to learn, but he can grasp things quickly if I have to work on his technique,” Rothmann told Rekord.

With Makhense’s victory over Matamba, he has now made the two African titles his own. Therefore, the logical next step is probably a chance to box for a world title.

However, Rothmann is not in a hurry for this. He said he would prefer Makhense to gain further experience on the international stage. That is why this opportunity to fight on the undercard when Lerena takes on Arslan in Germany is a wonderful opportunity according to Rothmann.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

 

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East
Rekord North
Rekord Centurion
Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Koos Venter

Koos Venter is an experienced journalist who started his career 35 years ago, before the days of cellphones, modern computer systems, the internet and digital cameras, as a correspondent for Nexus, the former national magazine of the Department of Correctional Services. He has since worked for various other publications in all aspects of news coverage, as a columnist and in the production side of newspapers and online publications. Since 2007 he has specialized as a sports writer, while he is also regularly used as an analyst and commentator by several radio stations.
Back to top button