Elgar predicts high intensity domestic season
Amid turmoil in South African cricket, the new season starts soon and Dean Elgar is looking forward to an interesting post-Covid-19 era for local cricket.
Titans batsman Dean Elgar is expecting a strong and intense start to the 4-Day Franchise Series when the new season kicks off in a little under two weeks.
With no international cricket currently scheduled, nearly all the Proteas players are expected to be available for the start of South Africa’s domestic programme, which is seeing the sport also return for the first time since it was prematurely ended by the COVID-19 pandemic more than seven months ago.
The lockdown in between kept everyone tied down at home, although normality is slowly starting to return following the phased lifting of restrictions in the last few weeks.
Elgar concedes there were pros and cons of not having to play cricket, but he feels the time is now right to return to play again.
“I think I speak on behalf of most of our players if not all of them as well as the coaching staff when I say it’s been frustrating. We’ve been putting in some really good work these last few months and we’re just excited to start playing again. It has been quite a long one and also an enjoyable one being home and spending time with your loved ones. But I do feel that it’s now time to get back on the park again. So, with the first ball to be bowled on 2 November, I have no doubt everyone is going to be raring to go,” he said.
Cricket South Africa (CSA) has been working tirelessly during the winter to try and get the game back on its feet again following the delays and abandoned tours that were forced by the coronavirus. The domestic fixtures were finally confirmed on October 9 when it was announced that only four-day franchise cricket will be played in 2020, with the season then moving ahead full-scale from January 2021.
It means that all the focus will be on the first-class game and Elgar feels this will only help improve the quality of cricket.
“Pretty much all the Proteas will be back at this stage, bar those in the IPL, so there’s no doubt it will add further intensity and strength to the game. I think the competition is going to be pretty strong,” he said.
Opener Elgar did not play a single four-day match for the Titans last year due to his busy international schedule with the Proteas.
This time around, however, there is a good chance he will be available for at least the opening five or six games.
The Titans are in Pool A for the newly structured red-ball campaign, alongside the Warriors and Cape Cobras, who they are up against at Newlands in Cape Town for round one.
The 2020/21 season will be formally launched at Hammanskraal, near Pretoria, on Thursday 22 October.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s website: Rekord East For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
