Covid crisis could ensure Bulls become SuperRugby Unlocked champion
It seems a foregone conclusion that the Bulls will be crowned as champion of the SuperRugby Unlocked tournament, after Saturday's game between the Sharks and the Stormers has been cancelled because some players tested positive for the Covid-19 virus.
It looks like the Bulls will be crowned champions of the SuperRugby Unlocked tournament this coming weekend, even if their game against the Pumas – which was moved to Saturday instead of Friday – does not take place.
This follows after Saturday’s match between the Sharks and the Stormers in Durban was cancelled, after one of the Sharks’ props tested positive for the Covid-19 virus.
The two teams are the only ones who still had a realistic chance of catching up with the Bulls on the log, although the outcome of the Bulls’ game against the Pumas, which was moved to Saturday, could also have an impact on the log. The latter game will take place if the Bulls and the Pumas’ full squads both test negative for the virus later this week.
It is highly doubtful whether there will be time for the Sharks vs Stormers game – or any of the other canceled matches – to be played before the Currie Cup series starts on Friday 27 November.
In a statement issued by SA Rugby, players and team management have been cautioned to practice strict Covid-compliance measures to minimize the risk of infection, following the third cancellation of a Super Rugby Unlocked match on Tuesday.
SA Rugby then officially announced that the Sharks’ match with the Stormers in Durban on Saturday has been cancelled following positive tests among the Sharks’ tight head props.
It follows the cancellation of the Lions’ matches against the Cheetahs and Pumas.
“Players and management are urged to employ extreme caution in their social engagement. It only takes one careless interaction by a single player to have the knock-on effect that impacts on 45 other players, team managements, the schedule and potentially the destination of the title,” said Jurie Roux, SA Rugby CEO.
Roux said as fit young athletes it may be tempting to think that they are ‘immune’ to infection and are free of comorbidities that make them vulnerable. But a positive test for one of them can have massive repercussions.
“I trust that team managements will underline that message on a daily basis to their playing personnel,” Roux concluded.
The Pumas’ match against the Bulls – scheduled for Friday evening in Pretoria – has been pushed back until Saturday, 21 November for player welfare reasons (kick off time to be confirmed).
The Pumas squad – which returned several positive tests last week – will be re-tested on Thursday. The results will be known on Friday, allowing time for a training session after 10 days in isolation before meeting the Bulls on Saturday.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
