Local sportSport

Club and amateur rugby still suspended

In the wake of the current wave of Covid spreading across the country, SA Rugby has announced that the initial ban on any rugby activities other than provincial competitions will be extended by a further two weeks.

Time is running out for the organizers of club and schools rugby tournaments to fit in their planned match schedules this year, as the season has just been shortened with another two weeks.

In the wake of the current wave of Covid spreading across the country, SA Rugby has announced that the initial ban on any rugby activities other than provincial competitions will be extended by a further two weeks.

This means that all club and amateur rugby remain suspended after the national government’s announcement on Sunday 11 July that the adjusted level four lockdown will continue for another two weeks.

SA Rugby last month commended its 14 member unions for proactively halting all forms of club and amateur rugby in the wake of the current third wave of the Covid crisis and Jurie Roux, CEO of SA Rugby, praised the unions, clubs and associations for the manner in which they joined hands to help stop the spread of the virus that has gripped South Africa.

“The fact that our national government has extended the lockdown for two more weeks is a clear indication that we must stay vigilant in our efforts to do our part to curb the spread of the pandemic. The safety-first approach is imperative as many are feeling the effects of the pandemic amongst their own ranks and by extending the suspension, we look out for all the role players – including the general public not involved in rugby,” Roux said.

Roux explained that even though the Government Gazette allows for club rugby to continue, the health, safety and wellbeing of South Africa’s players, coaches, officials and others comes first and all forms of club and amateur rugby therefor remains suspended until 31 July 2021, when SA Rugby will reassess the situation.

He also said that provincial competitions will continue, with strict adherence to all relevant protocol, and changes to the schedule will be made if necessary.

 

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

 

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Koos Venter

Koos Venter is an experienced journalist who started his career 35 years ago, before the days of cellphones, modern computer systems, the internet and digital cameras, as a correspondent for Nexus, the former national magazine of the Department of Correctional Services. He has since worked for various other publications in all aspects of news coverage, as a columnist and in the production side of newspapers and online publications. Since 2007 he has specialized as a sports writer, while he is also regularly used as an analyst and commentator by several radio stations.
Back to top button