MunicipalNews

Special motion regarding refuse removal not on agenda at the council meeting

DA will submit special motion about refuse removal again at next council meeting.

HIGHVELD – Govan Mbeki Municipality did not allow Ms Marietjie Fourie, DA councillor, to submit a special motion regarding refuse removal at a council meeting on Wednesday, 28 March.

Ms Fourie handed in the special motion, but the Speaker, Mr Nhlakanipho Zuma, refused to put it on the agenda.

“I will hand it in again 10 days before our next council meeting which will be at the end of April,” said Ms Fourie.

The special motion is about the municipality’s failure to remove the refuse at Secunda and Bethal households.

In the motion, the DA urged the municipality to give the people’s money back because no refuse removal services were rendered.

The landfill site in Bethal has been closed since 1 March because the municipality could not pay the contractor.

Also read: Contractor at Bethal dumping site wants his money

They owe the contractor R1.2 million and paid part of this amount two weeks ago.

Ms Fourie organised a team to clear the road leading to the landfill site in Bethal on 26 March.

Also read: Bethal dumping site is still closed

She said two municipal trucks began removing the refuse in Bethal last week and Ms Mariaan Chamberlain, DA councillor, said three trucks were operational in Secunda last week.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Ridge Times in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button