SECUNDA – Residents showed their frustration with Govan Mbeki Municipality by dumping their refuse bags in front of the main entrances to the parking area of Govan Mbeki Municipality on Sunday evening, 16 September.
Messages to inform residents of this action were circulated on groups on social media.
Residents said on Sunday evening they are tired of paying for a service that is not delivered.
“We must pay every month, but our refuse has not been removed for weeks,” said a resident.

Ms Mariaan Chamberlain, DA constituency chairman of Govan Mbeki, and Ms Ciska Jordaan, DA caucus leader of Govan Mbeki, said in a press release on Monday, 17 September that residents have been living among their refuse bags, rats and filth for months despite the deafening silence of Mr Anthony Makhaye, MMC of Community Services.
According to Ms Chamberlain and Ms Jordaan, there has been no consistency in the removal of refuse since about November last year.
“In some areas such as Extension 22 and Extension 23, refuse has not been collected for as long as six weeks,” said Ms Chamberlain.
“Excuses given by the ANC-led municipality include vehicles not being roadworthy, teams striking because of PPE, vehicle breakdowns and even problems with simpler solutions such as fuel shortages,” said Ms Jordaan.
https://www.facebook.com/echoridgenewspapers/videos/335425373690288/
According to them a refuse removal worker currently has access to PPE that consists of one overall, one pair of boots, one pair of gloves per week and no mask and no raincoat.
“The waste removal team striked recently for the second time, because they do not have proper PPE.
“According to the Occupational Health and Safety Act, PPE must include at least two quality overalls, one pair of safety boots, two to three pairs of gloves a week, a mask and a raincoat.
“In addition, mechanical contractors are often not paid, causing refuse removal trucks not to be released and only adding to the existing backlog of refuse in the streets as well as the frustration of residents and workers with no resources to their disposal.”

Ms Marietjie Fourie, DA councillor, tabled a motion in May to credit residents on refuse removal charges since the service is not delivered.
“The motion was thrown out by the ANC majority after a short discussion of bogus technicalities and irrelevant quotations from the standing orders,” said Ms Jordaan.
“Following vigorous opposition from the DA caucus with regards to the 2018/2019 budget of the municipality, it was approved by the ANC majority in July.
“Despite the DA highlighting several concerns in the budget and fighting for the non-implementation of the tariff increase on refuse removal, or rather non-removal, the budget was pushed through.
“It is typical of the ANC not to vote with their conscience, but rather their cadres when important matters such as these are considered by the council.
“Sadly, the political leadership of this municipality has no sympathy towards either the undignified filth that residents have gotten used to, or the undignified working conditions and lack of resources that workers must tolerate.
“The DA will continue to hold the ANC-led municipality to account and emphasise its financial incompetency.
“Placing the municipality under administration, as was considered by the Provincial Legislature, would have been an action in the best interest of the people.
“Alternative to the administration, as was decided by the ANC, it appears that visits from the Premier, Ms Refilwe Mtshweni, and the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (CoGTA), Mr Zweli Mkhize, were only ANC road shows with no intent to improve service delivery for the angered residents of Govan Mbeki Municipality, including the issue of refuse removal that is apparently unbeknown to them.
“The DA does not condone the illegal action of residents who dumped their refuse bags at the municipality on Sunday evening.
“However, the frustration of the residents are received loudly and clearly and the ANC-led council must account for its lack in delivering services that residents are exorbitantly overcharged for.
“The DA urges the acting municipal manager and the executive mayor, Ms Thandi Ngxonono, and Mr Makhaye to construct a turnaround plan for refuse removal that would be implemented by placing their political ambitions aside and considering the rational and constructive advice of the DA, and for the Provincial Legislature to reconsider the topic of administration until residents are afforded the opportunity to vote for servant leadership.”

Ms Ena van Rooyen, DA councillor, said it is unfair that residents have to pay for a service they do not receive.
The refuse removal schedule was even further behind as municipal refuse removal trucks first cleaned up in front of the municipality on Monday morning before beginning to service the residential households.
The Ridge Times asked Mr Benzi Soko, spokesman and chief of staff at Govan Mbeki Municipality, for comment on 17 September and his reply will be published in the next edition.
https://www.facebook.com/echoridgenewspapers/videos/1825692974192917/



