eMBALENHLE – Ms Lucia Tsotetsi narrowly escaped death after she sank into a mysterious sinkhole in Mandela Section on Tuesday, 12 February.
She was on the phone and waiting for transport to work at about 5.30am that day when she sank into a hole and nearly drowned in sewerage water.
She is unsure what exactly happened.
“I was on the phone standing on the corner of the road next to a sewerage drain. I don’t know what happened but I felt the ground going down and all of a sudden I was in a hole drowning in sewerage water.”
She screamed for help, but those who were nearby, were apparently too scared to go closer. She said at last one brave man pulled her up.
The police and ambulance were called and she was taken to Evander Hospital. She was discharged the same day.
Since then Ms Tsotetsi has been sick and traumatised.
“I can’t sleep, I keep asking myself questions for which I do not have answers for.
“I wish I could go to the doctor for a thorough check-up, but I cannot afford it.”
She said the Govan Mbeki Municipality was contacted, but they could not supply her with answers despite closing the hole.
Ms Mency Ndoda, ward councillor, visited her and promised to help her with costs of going to the doctor and another phone. She has, however, not spoken to Ms Tsotetsi since.
Locals have called on good samaritans to help Ms Tsotetsi with the medical costs.
They also raised concerns about the sinkhole and demanded answers from the municipality.
The Ridge Times contacted Ms Ndoda, but she didn’t want to comment and hanged up the phone.



