NewsNews

Candle sets house on fire

“We got the call that my son was in hospital and the house had been destroyed by a fire. It is alleged Neo left a candle burning during an electricity cut-off. Neighbours tried to help out but the fire was too intense and overcame them. Neo had to be pulled off the roof,” said Sophie.

TSHEPISO. – A 17-year–old boy, Neo Mbena, suffered severe pain but escaped death on Thursday in the early hours of the morning. He was rushed to hospital after he sustained burns on his neck and hands. He apparently left a candle unattended and fell asleep. This incident happened in Tshepiso Phase 3.

According to Mbena’s mother, Sophie Mbena (45) they lost everything, even the children’s birth certificates. “We are only left with what we had on,” said the sad mother. Sophie said she was not around when the incident happened. She and the three other children were visiting family elsewhere.

“We got the call that my son was in hospital and the house had been destroyed by a fire. It is alleged Neo left a candle burning during an electricity cut-off. Neighbours tried to help out but the fire was too intense and overcame them. Neo had to be pulled off the roof,” said Sophie.

The family slept at a nursery school nearby. “To God be the glory for Maria Motai’s help” said the mother.The family needs blankets, clothes and anything the community can help with because they are now homeless and living at the nursery school.

Councilor Joyce Radebe said she visited the family and took pictures and presented a formal report to the Speaker of the Municipality, Maipatong Tsokolibane to take the matter further to the MMC of Housing, Jan Moshoaliba.

“As for now we are depending on donations as the capacity to help out is limited due to the plight Emfuleni is in. However, I have made means to find help and I’m still doing that,” said Radebe.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Sedibeng Ster in Google News and Top Stories.

Lebohang Chaha

Lebo Chaha is a journalist for Sedibeng Ster and Ster North. She is mostly passionate about stories that bring positive change in her community. Email: lebo@mooivaal.co.za

Related Articles

Back to top button