NewsNews

General smuts pupil stabbed to death

The family of 19-year-old Isaac Malebo is reeling in shock after he was killed in cold blood by a 17-year-old pupil in Vereeniging on Monday.

VEREENIGING – Isaac is said to have intervened in a gang fight that was happening between his school mates and pupils from Thuto Tiro Secondary School.

His mother Mamokete Malebo could not hold back her tears as she relayed how she found out about her son’s murder.

Speaking to Sedibeng Ster at her family home in Ironside, De Deur, the 43-year-old said she received a call from her younger son who alerted her that his older brother had been stabbed.

“I was at work when I received the call and I rushed to the scene together with my manager. On arrival at the scene, I found two ambulances attending to Isaac. He was already placed inside one of them and when I saw him, he could not speak,” she said.

“After a while, paramedics told me that they were rushing him to Mediclinic hospital. They tried all they could to resuscitate him, but the stab wound was too deep, and he was declared deceased,” she added.

Mamokete said whoever took her sons life, too her gold from her.

“He always said that I must live for him but today he has left me. Isaac was everything to the family and his siblings. He was naughty like any other child but never got into trouble with anything serious.

“Monday was my first time receiving a school related call about my son. I have never in the past received a call about Isaac linking him to bullying, drugs or gangs. That boy took my gold away,” she said.

The bereaved mother said she felt as though the school had failed her son.

“The incident happened meters away from the school, but no official came to the scene. There were only school kids and bystanders with the principal nowhere to be found.”

Mamokete says she will remember her son for his warmth and his beautiful smile.

Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) spokesperson Steve Mabona says, “We can confirm that there is a sad incident which occurred in Sedibeng involving a learner from General Smuts and another from Thuto Tiro Secondary School. The learner from Thuto Tiro stabbed the one from general Smuts, unfortunately the learner from General Smuts passed away. We wish to convey our condolences to the family and the school community.

Vereeniging police spokesperson Captain Fikile Funda confirmed that a murder case docket was launched for investigation.

“A 17-year-old suspect has been arrested and detained at Vereeniging police station.  Investigations in the matter are underway.”

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Sedibeng Ster in Google News and Top Stories.

Sifiso Jimta

Sifiso Jimta is an experienced journalist of Ster North and Sedibeng Ster. He enjoys writing crime and feature articles. Email: sifiso@mooivaal.co.za

Related Articles

Back to top button