Umzumbe municipality has a new municipal manager.
Thembinkosi Patrick Cele, who is no stranger to Umzumbe, was appointed as the new MM recently, after a meticulous selection process.
His appointment is in terms of Section 54A of the Municipal Systems Act 32 of 2000 on a three-year fixed-term contract which is performance-based.
ALSO READ : Just In: Umzumbe mayor Sizwe Ngcobo has resigned
Mr Cele began his term on Monday, September 23 and takes over the reins from acting MM Nomvuyo Lushaba, who is the director of community services.
The new municipal manager comes with vast work experience in senior positions, having previously worked for various local government sectors, inclusive of the Umzumbe and Umuziwabantu municipalities.
Mr Cele, who was born and grew up in Umzumbe says he has his community at heart.
“I am committed to ensuring that my stay here will have a positive impact that will benefit our people in Umzumbe”.
He says his primary responsibility will be to implement council resolutions which will see the acceleration of basic services to the community of Umzumbe.
“I’m here to ensure that our people receive quality services which will improve their lives,” he said.
He vowed to stimulate efficiency through vigorous local economic development, financial viability and clean governance.
“I will also be focusing on programmes that will develop the youth.”
Mr Cele attended Mandlendoda Primary and matriculated at Luthuli High in Mthwalume before completing his diploma in teaching followed by a BA degree in political leadership at the University of South Africa.
He also holds a certificate in municipal finance management obtained from the University of Pretoria and is currently enrolled for his master’s degree in public administration at Mancosa.
Mr Cele is married with children and enjoys traditional food. During his spare time, he prefers studying or reading.
On welcoming Mr Cele, the outgoing mayor Sizwe Ngcobo said council was satisfied that Mr Cele met all the requirements for the position.
“The ball is now in his court. He must hit the ground running, and on behalf of the council I congratulate him on his appointment.”
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram
To receive our FREE email newsletter, click HERE
