CrimeNews

Newborn baby abandoned in Scottburgh

It is believed that the mother is from Lesotho and has no family in this area.

A BABY boy, thought to be just three days old, was found abandoned in the bush in Ashley Avenue, Scottburgh last week.

The infant was handed over to the Community Service Centre at the Scottburgh Saps and later taken to GJ Crookes Hospital for a medical examination.

A case was registered and police began a search for the baby’s mother.

Last Wednesday Constable Nonhlalhla Khumalo received information on the mother’s whereabouts, and a 28-year-old woman was arrested.

“She has been charged with child abandonment and has appeared in the Scottburgh Magistrate’s Court,” said Scottburgh Saps communications officer, Captain Adam Francis.

Child abandonment has become a serious problem.

YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN: Newborn found dumped in Port Shepstone

Cases reported on the South Coast in recent years include a newborn baby stuffed into a municipal refuse container; a baby and toddler abandoned in Malangeni, and a baby found after being buried for three days.

This is in addition to the disturbing number of foetuses regularly found in pit latrines, public toilets and drains.

Umzinto Child Welfare chairman, Colin Govender, reminded desperate women that there are other, safe, options available, including putting the infant up for adoption.

A core function of Child Welfare is ensuring the survival, protection and development of children and their families.

“As an organisation, we cannot condone such behaviour,” said Mr Govender.

“It is shocking to know that a mother would do something so irresponsible and there are no excuses for this.”

YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN: ‘Lazer Boy’ is doing well

After police proceedings, Umzinto Child Welfare and social workers, together with the Saps, will work together to ensure that the abandoned baby is taken care of and eventually placed with a suitable family in a good home, explained Mr Govender.

Investigating officer, Detective Sergeant Nonkululeko Mgqibisa of Umzinto Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit strongly opposed bail when the mother appeared in court on Monday this week.

It is believed that the woman is from Lesotho and has no family in this area.

She will remain in police custody until her next appearance on October 3 and the Department of Home Affairs will investigate to determine if she is in the country legally.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button