Local news

STRIKE UPDATE: Workers expected to return to work by next week

Ray Nkonyeni Municipality and the South African Municipal Workers Union have reached an agreement in principle.

Some hope has been given to Ray Nkonyeni Municipality (RNM) residents after today’s follow-up meeting with the office of KZN Cogta MEC, Rev Thulasizwe Buthelezi.

In a presentation at the council chambers in Port Shepstone earlier today, the MEC’s advisor Lionel Pienaar, said that it is hoped that in a day or two workers should resume work.

Earlier this month, Buthelezi addressed a stakeholders’ meeting, where he told RNM and the South African Municipal Workers Union (SAMWU) to come up with a solution or plan to suit both parties.

Pienaar said that on January 29, Cogta received progress reports from RNM and SAMWU.

He said both parties have reached an agreement in principle.

“Some formalities must be concluded, such as the preparation for both parties’ signatures, and we expect that the employees of RNM should resume normal duties within the next day or two.”

The proposal by the employer (RNM) is: Workers will be moved to grade 5 and receive four months out of the six months compensation. The payment plan includes two months being paid in February 2025, one month to be paid in the December 2025 salary run, and the last month to be paid in the March 2026 salary sun.

SAMWU’s progress report states that the issue of the suspensions will be left to the MEC’s office to advise.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Fundiswa Mzobe

Fundiswa Mzobe works as a journalist covering various beats. She started her Caxton career with Ugu Eyethu more than 10 years ago, then went on to work as a digital assistant on the Herald website. She has now progressed to being an out-and-out reporter, with a particular focus on council, crime and political issues. Before that she worked as a radio journalist for a short period of time.
Back to top button