Municipal workers demand salaries, backpay
They demanded an explanation form Ray Nkonyeni Municipality's municipal manager Khetha Zulu.
It was back to the streets to protest on Tuesday morning this week, as some Ray Nkonyeni Municipality (RNM) workers were not paid their February salaries nor their backpay.
These workers had been on strike for over three months over backpay and gradings, which had resulted in service delivery being halted.
Most workers said that they were given a lame excuse as to why they had not received their salaries or their backpay of two months out of the four months that was agreed on January 31.
They gathered at the Chris Hani Square (Dick King parking lot) and marched to RNM’s main offices.
They demanded an explanation from the municipal manager, Khetha Zulu.
At the time, Zulu was in a council meeting.
Earlier the same morning, a message was circulated to the workers stating the reason they were not paid was as a result of loadshedding, which led to servers being down on Monday.
When the Herald contacted the municipality for comment, the same message sent to the workers was sent as a response.
Workers waited for hours and eventually went inside the Port Shepstone Civic Centre, where they stormed in on a Ugu Anti-GBVF meeting, saying that they should be in the hall with Zulu.
The South African Municipal Workers Union’s regional secretary, Ntombifuthi Mzotho, said some workers still had not received their salaries on Wednesday morning.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram
