Local news

Vote of no confidence march postponed

Workers were meant to march to Ray Nkonyeni Municipality offices last week.

Ray Nkonyeni Municipality workers who were on strike last week are back at work and have also received the first instalment of their backpay.

The workers had also planned a peaceful march to the municipal offices last Friday to highlight a vote of no confidence in the municipal manager, Khetha Zulu; however, it was postponed due to logistics.

The South African Municipal Workers Union’s regional secretary, Ntombifuthi Mzotho, said they would rather postpone instead of doing something that carries no impact.

She said they have returned to work, and the union has signed on behalf of the workers, and they have received their money.

“Even though workers were complaining about huge amounts that were deducted from their pay, they all received their money.”

Speaking to the Herald, some workers said a deduction of about R17 000 was taken; however, it depended on your salary scale.

Also, Mzotho said that they are getting advice from their political leaders to sort out the logistics for the march.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button