RNM’s budget discussion postponed
Garbade was then seconded by the Chief Whip teddy Hlophe saying that they will have to set a date for a special council meeting to discuss the matter.
At Ray Nkonyeni Municipality‘s (RNM) council meeting on Tuesday last week, a decision was taken to postpone the budget discussion, as councillors claimed that they only received a notice on Monday afternoon.
Council was meant to approve or reject the draft budget.
Clr Leon Garbade’s objection was seconded by chief whip Teddy Hlophe, who said a date has to be set for a special council meeting to discuss it.
Another matter which was raised was an update on the status of Mzimkulu River bridge, which has been closed for repairs.
The speaker, Phumlani Gumbi, said it can also be discussed at the special council because it was not on the agenda.
At last month’s council meeting, a proposal was put forward to move a part of Ward 5 in Umzumbe Local Municipality to RNM.
An IFP councillor, Sfundo Ngwane, said a ward cannot operate under two Amakhosi areas, and it was therefore proposed that the entire ward be moved.
Hlophe suggested Inkosi Zolani Qwabe be invited to the next council meeting for further discussions, as he is not part of RNM.
Garbade asked the speaker that each political party be given a chance to make an objection on the matter before the municipality raises its objection.
Hlophe added that there will also be consultation meetings from May to June and that anyone or any party can then raise their objections here.
Ngwane also raised the issue of roads and bridges in rural areas.
He said that the planning department needs to include the rural areas in seasonal holiday plans, as during Easter, people will visit rural churches for services.
Ngwane requested the leadership to speak to the KZN Department of Transport on this matter.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram
