Local news

Tender challenges discussed at contractors imbizo

Tender documents are now online, so it's no longer easy to be tampered with.

Martin Meyer, the MEC for Public Works and Infrastructure said the department aims to root out corruption in the bidding of tenders to benefit smaller contractors at an imbizo at the Uvongo Town Hall on Tuesday last week.

Meyer said documents are now online, so it will be difficult to be tampered with.

He added that the department is aware of corruption when it comes to tenders.

“Some people pay officials to remove pages from documents, so when it is being scanned pages are missing and it is disqualified. Once online, no one will be able to remove pages from any documents, and that will offer everyone a fair chance to bid.”

According to Meyer this is the fourth imbizo in the province to open communication between the department and contractors.

“We want to hear their concerns, give them relevant information because we know that they have not been treated well.”

Also, he said that the department is aware of construction mafias. “In the past they demanded 30% of the work, but now they come with weapons and demand 30% of the money. .”

He added these mafias are nothing but criminals who threaten contractors and make demands that they do not deserve.

Meyer made it clear to the contractors present that if they have such an experience, they should report it to the police and those people must be arrested.

“As the department we had a meeting with the KZN police commissioner, Lieutenant General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi, and in Durban the police now have a special team that deal with such criminal activity.”

Another issue raised by the contractors was late payments by the department.

Meyer said some contractors have been paid and more payments will be made.

Sanele Mndaweni, a contractor said he has had challenges on site and the MEC’s message was clear as to how it should be tackled.

“He made it clear that we will not be treated badly on site, and the new system will assist us going forward.”

Contractors Sanele Mndaweni (left) and Njabulo Khawula.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button