R631 million budget allocation for Izinduna
KZN Treasury MEC, Peggy Nkonyeni said the KZN Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) will receive R2.4 billion.
The Inkatha Freedom Party has welcomed the budget set aside by the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Finance on the backpay owed to Izinduna in the province.
The KZN Treasury MEC, Peggy Nkonyeni announced this on Friday, last week when she tabled the provincial budget in Pietermaritzburg.
Nkonyeni said the KZN Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) will receive R2.4 billion.
She added besides the usual activities related to support provided to traditional institutional management, the department allocated R631 million for the 2023/24 financial year, to settle the backpay amount owed to the Izinduna in this province.
Nkonyeni said prior to the department effecting any payments in this regard, a meeting will be held between provincial Treasury and Cogta to discuss the payment process, as well as the internal controls in place to ensure that these funds are disbursed correctly.
“It should be noted that these funds are specifically and exclusively allocated and may, therefore, not be used for any other purpose,” said Nkonyeni.
Speaking to the media, IFP leader Velenkosini Hlabisa said the IFP welcomes the step forward regarding the remuneration of Izinduna as this step was initiated by the IFP during the time when the late Inkosi Nyanga Ngubane was the KZN Cogta MEC.
In March 2022, the KZN provincial treasury was in discussion with the national government over the unfunded multi-million rand Izinduna salary bill.
Former president Jacob Zuma, in his tenure, authorised government to pay Izinduna salaries.
However, the KZN provincial government’s deal in implementing Zuma’s decree resulted in the provincial government incurring backpay that was said to be R1.4 billion at the time.
Meanwhile, Nkonyeni said the Department of Social Development will receive R3 billion.
“The department will continue to provide social welfare services to the people of this province, with the focus being on the vulnerable citizens of this province. This work is done jointly with non-profit organisations. The department will continue to expand and improve residential and community-based care and support services to older persons. The department will ensure access to 39 state-owned residential facilities benefitting 2 589 older persons. Furthermore, 14 535 older persons will have access to care and support services, including proactive programmes to prevent elderly abuse,” said Nkonyeni.
She added that the department will continue to render residential and community-based care and support services to persons with disabilities, saying that the Disability Empowerment Mainstreaming Approach Project will continue to be implemented in the iLembe District, and is aimed at facilitating the strengthening of support groups for parents and caregivers of children with disabilities.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like the South Coast Fever’s Facebook page
