South Coast Fever

Concerns over upgrade of Main Harding Road

Zibele Construction was awarded a R54 million tender in 2022 to upgrade the road and the rehabilitation was expected to be completed earlier this year in January.

The never-ending rehabilitation of Main Harding Road in Marburg is still affecting businesses, the public, and the unemployment rate severely.

This was revealed by Ward 16 councillor, Ajith Rajaram during a Ray Nkonyeni Municipality council meeting on Tuesday.

Rajaram said the work done on Main Harding Road does not seem as if it was worth R8 million.
Zibele Construction was awarded a R54 million tender in 2022 to upgrade the road and the rehabilitation was expected to be completed earlier this year in January.

”What happened on Main Harding Road is the opposite of rehabilitating a road, the contractor made a mess as a result, businesses and the public are suffering,” said Rajaram.
RNM municipal manager Khetha Zulu, they are in the process of appointing a new contractor to complete the work on Main Harding Road.

He added that details of completion, costs, and project report will be available to the council at the next council meeting.

Meanwhile, the budget of over R1 billion presented by RNM mayor, Sikhumbuzo Mqadi, was adopted by council on Tuesday.

“The annual income budget is sitting at R1 360 955 503, annual operating expenditure at R1 253 190 894, and the capital expenditure is at R154 893 000.

The budget will cover projects such as the upgrade of Margate Airport, potholes repairs, rural and storm water rehabilitation, urban storm water rehabilitation, road reseals, outdoor gyms, and others,” he said.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like the South Coast Fever’s Facebook page

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button