Lawyer’s murder case postponed
The 30-year-old man made a brief appearance in the Alexander Magistrate's Court on August 7 and his case was postponed to give his new lawyer time to study the case.
The case of Thubelihle Sbonakaliso Mpisi who is facing murder charges was postponed to August 14, after a lawyer who was representing him withdrew from the case during a bail application on Monday last week.
The 30-year-old man made a brief appearance in the Alexander Magistrate’s Court. The case was postponed to give his new lawyer time to study the case.
Mpisi was arrested two weeks ago in Westville, Durban in connection with the murder of his girlfriend Mahlako Malebo Rabalao who was killed in March.
Her body was found burnt beyond recognition in her Mercedes-Benz in Midrand, Gauteng.
Meanwhile, We Create Change SA recently started a petition to demand justice for Rabalao, to inform the Alexandra Magistrate’s Court and the National Prosecuting Authority that they don’t want Mpisi to get bail.
The petition which has close to 4000 signatures was handed delivered to the court on Monday.
The organisation said: “We need to ensure he is not granted bail. After allegedly murdering his girlfriend (the mother of his son), Mpisi went on to post long, sad social media posts pretending he had nothing to do with the femicide. Police had to trace him all the way to KZN which means he fled Johannesburg after allegedly committing the crime, this is an indication that he is a flight risk.”
It added that this Women’s Month, the public must unite to rid the country of the scourge of gender-based violence (GBV).
“We cannot let the alleged perpetrator of this femicide go free, Mpisi must be denied bail. He must remain in custody for the duration of his trial and if found guilty he must receive the maximum sentence. The court must use this case to deter any more would-be perpetrators from committing any more GBV-related crimes,” said the organisation.
Like the South Coast Fever’s Facebook page
