CrimeNews

Kenilworth park needs law enforcement to be reinforced

Other concerning issues in this newly built park are the lack of protection from the law enforcement as people use it as a drinking and smoking spot.

A RESIDENT of De Ve Villiers Street, Kenilworth, was stabbed on his right hand after he had reprimanded a motorist whom he said was endangering the lives of children. The incident took place on December 9.

The resident who spoke on condition of anonymity said the children played in the park, but he was more concerned about the BMW sedan that raced up and down the street. “That’s when I approached the guy to tell him to please stop what he was doing. He obliged, however, his friends were not impressed. I was told this was not my park. As I left the scene, one guy grabbed me. When I tried to free myself, that’s when I was stabbed,” said the resident.

The resident said he did not report the matter to the police “as this was a waste of time”.

The resident said others concerns in the newly built park included lack of law enforcement. He complained that some people use the park as a drinking spot and that the park has no sanitary facilities.

“We are often told to take ownership of these places, however, how can we do that when we are violated like this? No one is helping us. We have sent letters of complaints to the local ANC parliamentary constituency office (PCO) and haven’t received any response. Some of the components in the gym area are already broken because other people don’t care. Litter and empty beer bottles can be seen everywhere and when we want to help, we are told we don’t own this place,” he said.

Another resident said some of the scholar transport parked there during school hours, they drink and smoke, sometimes with the learners. He said the mindset and the attitude of people need to change towards this park.

Thulani Mteto from ANC PCO said: “I am not sure of the resident’s complaint, but I know that City Parks has, as from yesterday (December 10), been doing some cleaning in the area through the intervention of the councillor. We were not informed of anyone who had been stabbed on Sunday, but I am sure the councillor will respond accordingly.”

Ward 124 councillor Mongameli Mnyameni said he was not aware of the incident that happened on December 9 at De Villiers Street. “What happened is totally wrong and it must not happen again. I have engaged JMPD to always be visible at the park and also the SAPS, in trying to address the issue of crime around the park.

“But above everything else, the community must take the ownership of the park because the park is theirs. Their children are playing there and therefore we must all help to maintain it. We must work together with the police to make sure that society is safe. I would like to meet the family of the victim of that crime. The public drinking is not allowed, and that should be the position.”

ASSAULTED: The resident with his hand on a sling because of the stabbing. Photo: Lucky Thusi

For free daily local news in the south, visit our sister newspapers Alberton RecordComaro ChronicleSouthern Courier and Get it Joburg South Magazine.

Remember to visit our FacebookTwitter and Instagram pages. You can also email our offices on cvdwalt@caxton.co.zajuliem@caxton.co.za or luckyt@caxton.co.za

Get regular news updates sent directly to your inbox: Newsletter-Signup

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Southern Courier in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button