SAPS suspect arson at Dr WK du Plessis School
No arrests have been made in connection with the suspicious fire at Dr WK du Plessis School on Friday morning.
Police allege that around 6.20am, a fire was deliberately started at the school, which is situated in East Geduld Road, Petersfield.
According to SAPS spokesman Capt Johannes Ramphora, the blaze caused extensive damage to one of the offices; however, there was no structural damage to the building.
“No one was injured,” he says.

It is alleged that a learner saw smoke coming from the administration building and ran to the vice-principal’s house on the premises.
Read: WATCH: Fire destroys sports equipment at Hoërskool Hugenote
Ramphora says the man allegedly unlocked the door to the building to let the smoke out.
“He used the available fire extinguishers to try and stop the fire, but eventually had to call the Springs branch of the Ekurhuleni Disaster and Emergency Services (DEMS) to put out the fire,” he says.
Upon investigation, it was found that an extractor fan lid had been removed and there was a hole in the wall where the alleged culprits gained entry to start the fire.
“The school allegedly reported the incident to the Gauteng Department of Education and other relevant parties,” says Ramphora.
Police are investigating an arson case.
Read: Fire in hut leads to Musa’s death
William Ntladi, DEMS spokesman, says two fire trucks were sent to the scene.
“We extinguished the fire and had to use a positive pressure ventilator to minimise the smoke in the administration offices.
“The cause of the fire is undetermined and there were no casualties,” he says.
The principal of the school was not available for comment.



