Ready to aid in Tongaat
‘I have never encountered a scene like this in my life’ - Nico Gouws
PHOTO: Ronelle Ramsamy
EMPANGENI K9 and Dive Units remain on standby to assist with rescue operations in Tongaat, following the collapse of a massive shopping centre development on Tuesday afternoon.
Two Zululanders formed part of round-the-clock search operations on Tuesday night after an entire floor of the Tongaat Mall, which is still under construction, caved in on workers, killing one woman and injuring another 29 people.
Returning from the scene on Wednesday morning, Warrant Officer Nico Gouws of the Empangeni K9 Unit told the Zululand Observer they had worked throughout the night trying to find survivors, but so far no one was found underneath the massive piles of slab and steel.
He was accompanied by sniffer dog Sirus and colleague Warrant Officer Waldo Herbst of the Empangeni Dive Unit.
‘When we arrived at the scene at around 6.30pm, the centre part of the building had ‘pancaked’ while the perimeter was still intact. I have never encountered a scene like this in my life. ‘We searched with Sirus to find scents or any indication of survivors,’ said Gouws.
Rummaging through the concrete rubble, Herbst said they had to use angle grinders, the jaws of life, hammers, bolt cutters and other equipment to get through tunnels and crevices.
‘What was surprising was that we were able to break concrete slabs with hammers which should not have been the case. The rescue effort was well coordinated and we teamed up with paramedics, members of the SAP, Fire and Rescue and EMRS,’ added Herbst.
As the night progressed, the Empangeni police members said they were amazed by the support of the community.
‘It was unbelievable how they brought us food and coffee throughout the night encouraging us to go the extra mile.’
The search and rescue operation was called off yesterday (Wednesday) so that the labour department could move some of the rubble with heavy machinery.
‘If they need our help, we will report for duty immediately. It will be a miracle if there are still survivors, but it’s possible. There were so many cavities we could not get through,’ explained Gouws.
uMhlathuze Fire and Rescue Chief Andrew Vumba told the Zululand Observer on Wednesday morning that they were monitoring the situation and were on standby if further assistance was required.
Police spokesperson Lieutenant Mandy Govender said three people were still unaccounted for, but it was possible that more people were trapped in the debris.
A case of a culpable homicide is being investigated.
20 NOVEMBER 2013
Zululanders join Tongaat rescue mission
THE Empangeni K9 Unit formed part of round-the-clock rescue operations at Tongaat last night, the scene where a massive shopping centre development collapsed on Tuesday afternoon.
An entire floor of the Tongaat Mall, which is still being constructed, caved in on workers killing one woman and injuring another 29 people.
The Zululand Observer got in touch with Warrant Officer Nico Gouws of the Empangeni K9 Unit, who joined rescue and emergency services on the scene last night.
Accompanied by sniffer dog, Sirus, an exhausted Gouws said they had worked throughout the night trying to find survivors but unfortunately no one was found amid the massive slabs and steel.
uMhlathuze Fire and Rescue Chief Andrew Vumba told the Zululand Observer on Wednesday morning that they were monitoring the situation and were on standby if further assistance was required.
Netcare 911 spokesperson Chris Botha said the search and rescue operation had been called off on Wednesday so that the labour department could move some of the rubble with heavy machinery, which is reportedly being brought from Gauteng.
Speaking from the periphery of the scene where emergency workers remain on standby, Tongaat community leader, Pastor Ronnie Naidoo commended rescue workers, who battled throughout the night to find bodies.
‘Unfortunately, no one has been found to date. We continue to pray and this is a tragic time for Tongaat as a whole. To the contractors involved, there’s only one way to do a job and that is the right way. There is no time for shortcuts. It has resulted in the loss of many precious lives,’ said Naidoo.
Police spokesperson Lieutenant Mandy Govender said three people were unaccounted for, but it was possible that more people were trapped in the debris.
Police cordoned off the site on Wednesday morning and small groups of people watched the operations from a distance.
Catch the full report in the Zululand Observer weekend edition

PHOTOS: Surie Singh of Makhulu News

