Construction of new road to continue
Ward 80 councillor Wilson Busakwe has confirmed that construction of Joe Nzamane Road will resume on Monday.
KwaThema – Construction of the phase four of Joe Nzamane Road is set to resume on Monday. The 100m outstanding construction will be stretched to join Vlakfontein Road. The road will be a route for the Bus Rapid Transit System (BRT) once it is rolled out in the area. Phase one of the road construction started in 2017 from Kgaswane Street and the second phase, which stretched from Marule Street, was completed in June last year.
Also read:
KwaThema residents concerned about waste collection in the area
Phase three, which resumed in August last year, was completed in June. Ward 80 councillor Wilson Busakwe confirmed phase four of the road construction will resume on Monday. The plan for the R10-million construction is to connect the roads in Extension Seven, which will lead to Vlakfontein Road. Busakwe said the contractor, 19 general workers and a community liaison officer have been appointed and undergone medical tests. “We are waiting for the PPE for work to resume,” he said. Busakwe added the construction of the road will hopefully reduce the amount of traffic on Kgaswane Street, especially on weekends when funerals are held at Vlakfontein Cemetery.
Also read:
“We identified the traffic is unbearable and we had to come up with ways to diverge the traffic. “We also hope it will reduce the amount of crime carried out in the open space where the road is constructed,” explained Busakwe. Busakwe urged residents to abide by the rules of the road when using the new road. “Since the construction of the road started we have experienced seven accidents, one of which ended in a fatality,” he said. Follow us on:
![]()



