Family demands answers over delays in Enrique da Silva case
Mandy da Silva, mother of Alberton Enrique Robbertze da Silva, is questioning the handling of the culpable homicide and pointing-of-firearm cases more than a year after his death.
More than a year after 24-year-old Alberton motorcyclist Enrique Robbertze da Silva died in a collision, his mother, Mandy da Silva, is demanding answers about the progress of the investigation and what she believes are unexplained delays.
Enrique died after his motorcycle collided with a Volkswagen Polo near Kota Joe Roadhouse on May 2, 2025.
Mandy said she became frustrated after repeatedly being told that blood test results needed for the case were not ready.
She said she contacted the National Health Laboratory Service herself and was informed that the results had been ready in July 2025 and collected on July 18, 2025, before being sent to Germiston Mortuary.
According to Mandy, the results remained there for about nine and a half months before she intervened and approached a colonel at the Alberton SAPS Detective Unit.
She said the colonel retrieved the results and also assisted with correcting an error on the front page of Enrique’s autopsy documentation.
Confusion over the docket
Mandy said the culpable homicide docket was submitted to the prosecutor’s office on May 3, 2026, and that she followed up with senior prosecutor Kenny Ramavhoya on May 7, 2026.
She claims they were initially told the docket could not be located, before it was eventually produced.
Mandy said the prosecutor also discovered that there were allegedly two dockets relating to the same case.
According to her, Ramavhoya reviewed the docket and indicated that it was in order and that a summons would be issued for Romeo, the driver allegedly involved in the collision.
ALSO READ: Family seeks justice after Alberton crash claims life of Enrique Robbetze Da Silva
The family was later informed that Romeo would appear in court on July 20, but Mandy said he did not appear.
She was allegedly told the case had not yet been loaded onto the court system.
Separate firearm case
The family also opened a separate case concerning allegations that Romeo’s brother pointed a firearm and threatened people at the crash scene.
The case was initially opened at Brackendowns SAPS before being transferred to Alberton SAPS.
Mandy had previously told the Alberton Record that she was informed the firearm case had been withdrawn after additional witness statements allegedly failed to corroborate her version.
However, on July 30 this year, Mandy forwarded the Alberton Record a message she had received from a colonel at Alberton SAPS, providing an update on both matters.
The message stated: “Cas 158/07/2026 was collected and there are queries that need to be addressed by the investigating officer and yourself.”
It further stated that “the culpable homicide matter is still with Kenny and he promised to issue summons.”
The message therefore indicated that the pointing-of-firearm matter was still being dealt with and that the culpable homicide matter remained with prosecutor Kenny.
Family raises safety concerns
Mandy also says the family has received threats and that she has been followed by vehicles without registration plates.
She alleges that a man, whom she described as a senior Gauteng traffic official, threatened her and told her to stop speaking about her son’s case.
The family has since approached private security companies for additional patrols around Mandy’s home.
The allegations have not been independently verified.
SAPS: Investigation is complete
Warrant Officer Joe Phokungwane of Alberton SAPS, the investigating officer in the culpable homicide case, rejected the family’s characterisation of the investigation as delayed.
“I’ve done my investigation. I’m waiting for the court to come with a decision,” he said.
Asked when he received Enrique’s blood test results, Joe said he could not provide the date because the docket was no longer with him.
“It went to court,” he said.
Phokungwane said journalists seeking information contained in the docket would need to make an application to the police station.
“There is no delay,” he said, describing the investigation as normal.
He confirmed that the docket was submitted to the NPA during May and said his investigation was complete.
NPA and SAPS responses outstanding
The Alberton Record sent an enquiry to the National Prosecuting Authority on July 29, regarding the status of the case and the concerns raised by the family.
The NPA has been followed up several times, but the response received has been that it would revert.
No substantive response had been received at the time of publication.
Alberton SAPS also received the enquiry on July 29.
The enquiry was initially directed to Sergeant Mkhwanazi, who is handling the investigation into the alleged pointing of a firearm and threats.
He advised that he could not provide the requested information and instructed the Alberton Record to send the questions to the station’s communications department.
The enquiry was subsequently sent as directed, but no substantive response had been received at the time of publication.
The Alberton Record will update the article should responses be received.
The family says it remains determined to establish what happened to Enrique and whether all aspects of the case have been properly investigated.
WATCH: Alberton unites against drunk driving in memory of Enrique da Silva



