In response to concerns raised over the implementation of the Lungile Mstshali Community Development project, the municipality has said qualifying criteria for beneficiaries do not include that they should be registered voters.
In the February 26 edition of the NEWS, it was reported that the Democratic Alliance (DA) criticised the implementation of the R101-million ward-based project.
The project was launched on February 11 by the executive mayor for the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality (EMM), Councillor Mondli Gungubele.
Ward 18 councillor and city planning and economic development spokesperson, Clr Heather Hart, said the project has taken months to prepare.
“The on again, off again Lungile Mstshali Community Development Plan has so far taken more than nine months in preparation, but still the DA caucus of the municipality is not happy with the way this poverty alleviation and job creation programme is being implemented,” said Clr Hart.
The programme is designed to provide unemployed residents in each ward in Ekurhuleni with an opportunity to be selected as one of the 30 eco-guides or field workers in the R1-million per ward community upliftment project.
Clr Hart is concerned that not even two weeks’ notice was given before the registration for these positions was closed.
Among Clr Hart’s concerns were that the project appeared to be used as “an election tool as opposed to a vehicle for service delivery”.
The EMM’s brand and communications department last week hit back at accusations made stating the project had already started.
“We have finalised the projects that will be undertaken the financial year of 2013/14, such as the Eco-guides, the cleaning of the storm water drainage, street sweeping and road markings,” the department responded.
“We have also finalised the recruitment and selection for 85 wards out of the 99. The rest will be finalised during the week starting from March 3.”
The department also said it was incorrect that the qualifying criteria for beneficiaries of the project were that they should first be registered voters.
“The qualifying criteria was that beneficiaries should come from a voting district in one of the 101 wards in Ekurhuleni in order to ensure that people from outside the municipal district are not appointed,” the department said.
The department further stated that the decision to identify three metro-wide projects is only for this financial year (2013/14).
“We have subsequently finalised the criteria for the submission of ward-based projects for the financial years 2014/15 and 2015/16. This will be communicated to the stakeholders including ward councillors, ward committees and other interested parties after the launch.”



