According to Const Moswarisheng Makofane, the incident took place on Friday, January 23, when two Bangladeshi men, who own a shop opposite the Putfontein Police Station, were locking up for the day.
“One man was locking the doors and one, who was carrying R6 000, was walking to the dustbin, when he was confronted by three armed men who forced him into a small white car – as he tried to run away,” said Makofane.
The white car and another red car, believed to be a Golf, drove off immediately after the incident.
A woman standing by the shop alerted the other shop owner that his brother was being forced into a car.
“The shop owner then ran to the Putfontein Police Station to report the case.
Police officers drove around looking for the vehicles, but they could not find them,” said Makofane.
When the shop owner was being interviewed, he told police that a Bangladeshi man came into the shop earlier in the day and that he suspected that the man was linked to the kidnapping.
“He directed police officers to where the suspect stays and he was subsequently arrested,” said Makofane.
The arrested man then directed police to five other men, who were arrested in KwaThema.
A firearm was confiscated during the arrests and the R6 000 was not recovered.
“According to the kidnapped victim, who was found in the same area, one man is still at large,” said Makofane.
The six men were taken to the Putfontein Police Station and charged with kidnapping and robbery.
They are expected to appear in the Benoni Magistrates Court today (Monday, January 26).
Station commander Lieut-Col Sipho Mbatha thanked Sgt Ngwako Magwaza, Const Makofane, Const Hlesekane Chauke and members of the KwaThema Police Station, who assisted during the operation.



