Local sportSport

Local derby ends in good spirits

Old Benoni rivals met again in a local derby.

Saturday’s derby was no different to any other and the tension was high.

The reserve teams kicked off at 1.45 pm and from the start of the game, both teams pushed to open the scoring. Old Bens’ second team won 2-1 setting the tone for the afternoon’s results.

With the stands packed with supporters spurring their team on, it was up to the PSL official to start the game.

Victor Gomes was assigned by the referees association for the game as it is known to always be a heated 90 minutes and a well-composed referee would be needed.

The game kicked off with Benoni Northerns dominating the first 15 minutes.

Old Bens were awarded a penalty that would have been the opening goal if it were converted, but it was missed and the game was back on.

Old Bens settled and started to create opportunities but could not convert until the forty-second minute when Themba Vilakazi managed to break away with a good through ball.

Vilakazi, after missing two chances previously, found the back of the net with a well placed left-footed strike.

The timing could not have been better as Old Bens took the lead going into half-time.


Old Bens bag three points on their travels

With both teams desperate for the three points, the next 45 minutes was going to be action packed, and it was.

The second stanza started and both teams had chances but it was Benoni Northerns that would find the back

of the net with some well worked ball play opening the Old Bens defence.

It was the dreaded five-minute spell after scoring a goal when the concentration is down that Old Bens capitalised and scored almost immediately, giving them the lead again.

This time it was Sabelo ‘Chilli’ Methula that would take the Old Bens team into the lead.

Not long after, Nkululeko ‘Shoes’ Makhubo would hit the back of the net for Old Bens’ third goal taking the pressure off as the game headed into the last 30 minutes.

Bens again found the back of the net that would have closed the game but the linesman found it was deemed to be offside and the goal did not count, giving the Benoni Northerns team a little hope as the game started to draw towards a close.

With about seven minutes left, the Benoni Northerns striker was in the Bens big box and took a strike that apparently hit the centre back on his hand and a penalty was awarded.

Northerns then took the advantage and made it 3-2, making the last five minutes very tense for both teams and their coaches.

The game ended 3-2 with no red cards and in good spirit.

As usual, the derby was well contested by both teams and both the Old Bens first and reserve team squads will have bragging rights until they meet again at Northern areas on August 11.

For news straight to your phone invite us:
WhatsApp: 079 431 1217

Instagram: benonicitytimes.co.za

Related Articles

Back to top button