Local newsSport

Turffontein boxing showdown to take a stand against GBV

Legends, champions and local favourites return to the ring at Portuguese Hall on November 28 to raise awareness and empower communities through sport.

The historic Portuguese Hall in Turffontein will erupt with boxing action on November 28.

Promoter Prenomen Chabani has put together an exciting card for boxing fans in support of the fight against GBV.
The initiative combines sport, awareness, and community empowerment.

The event will bring together legends and champions from across South Africa to fight not just in the ring, but for a cause that affects every community.

Anton Gilmore, one of the fighters, said this event is about changing mindsets and showing that real champions are those who stand up for what’s right. Through boxing, they are promoting discipline, respect, and accountability, values that directly oppose GBV.

“We also want to use this platform to support victims and raise awareness, especially among young men, that strength is not about dominance; it’s about self-control, compassion, and protecting those who can’t protect themselves,” he said.

Thinking outside the box, Chabani has assembled a seven-fight professional boxing card with two exhibition bouts. Opening the event, Gilmore, a world title contender in 1997, will celebrate his 55th birthday with a bout against former world champion Malcolm Klassen (43), proving age is just a number.

This will be Gilmore’s 100th fight in his 40th year of boxing. Klassen, who competed professionally less than a year ago, will be a tough opponent.

The fight of the day is an exhibition bout in which Johnny Koen, a former professional boxer and recent Master Box SA champion in two weight divisions, takes on former world champion Isaac ‘The Angel’ Hlatshwayo.

Koen has been active over the past two years and trains hard at the Box Office Gym, preparing for the big task of fighting Hlatshwayo, who easily outboxed his last opponent.

Exhibition bouts are big drawcards for events, and these two should rally the masses to see their old favourites have another go.

The main professional bout of the day for the GBV event is between two female boxers competing for the SA Bantamweight title. Champion Nosiacwase Dube will defend her title against challenger Sasiziwe Simon.

The Gauteng provincial junior lightweight title defence between Siphamandla Manqatha and Tumelo Mpahlele promises to be an all-action affair. This main undercard fight is expected to be a barnstormer.

Jarred Silverman, managed by Colleen Macausland, aims to make another strong impression after his recent knockout victory. He is actively pursuing a fight against SD Pypers, which he publicly called for on social media.

His upcoming bout against Simphiwe Ntombela from KZN at junior middleweight (over six rounds) could bring him one step closer to that call-out match.

South boy Seth van Aswegan, trained by Richard and Manny Fernandes and managed by Brian Mitchell, aims to improve his record when he faces Martin Maswanganye from Limpopo at super middleweight.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Comaro Chronicle in Google News and Top Stories.

Lucky Thusi

Lucky Thusi is the News Editor of Comaro Chronicle. He started as a reporter for Southern Courier in 2008. Since then, he has grown in leaps and bounds in journalism for the past 18 years.

Related Articles

Back to top button