Local sportSport

No Cup glory for City

Germiston City defeated in quarter finals.

Germiston City Football Club met Highlands Park in the quarter-finals of the ELFA Super League Cup, on Saturday, July 26.

Despite their efforts, the team were defeated 5-1.

City was under pressure from the kick-off, with a free kick given away by Rockie Islam.

This brought City keeper Brandon Greyling into action within the first few minutes of the match.

The pressure continued, with Greyling called on to stop Highlands’ relentless attack.

City relied on the counter-attack and were unlucky in minute 11, when a well-timed header was narrowly saved by the Highlands keeper.

This set Highlands back onto the attack.

In minute 18 of the match, Highlands broke down their right and a seemingly miscued cross was not dealt with by the Germiston defence, leaving their keeper exposed for the first goal of the game.

City played well and after some good play down the right, the right winger crossed into the box, only for Chinnaidi Ekwemmo to be fouled.

Pizzo Muzo took the opportunity and scored for city from the penalty spot.

City were again under constant pressure and were lucky not to go behind after some mistimed tackles and bad back passes, as well as some good play especially a well timed tackle by Genie Sekobelo kept Highlands at bay.

Dembi Mayamela a calculated free kick was well met by the City striker, Maketso with a shot just missing the Highland right upright.

A defensive mix up by Keagan Mendes in the 32 minute of the match left Greyling exposed again and Highlands were again in front with their second goal of the match.

City still had a few chances with Kaka Rachane coming close in the closing minutes of the first half, but his shot was well save by the Highlands keeper.

The half time score saw City behind by one goal.

Germiston kicked off the second half with a lovely attack down the right the cross was well trapped by Ekwemmo on his chest and a spectacular over head kick just missed the Highland goal.

Highlands were however relentless in their attack and City managed to keep them down to the single goal difference for most of the second half.

This, sadly, ended in the 63rd minute of the second half, when a misunderstanding in City’s defence led to Highlands’ third goal.

Greyling, the City keeper who clearly wasn’t himself, was substituted for Brian Kamanga to make his first team debut in the City goal posts.

Within a minute of Kamanga coming onto the field he had to collect the ball from the back of the net, as Highlands scored their fourth goal.

There was no rest for Kamanga, and his first two minutes on the field saw him collect the ball from the net twice.

Leaving the score 5-1 to the Highlands in the 65 minute of the match.

City had no answer for the powerful Highlands side and the match came to a close with the final score of 5-1 to Highlands.

This match put an end to a good cup run by Germiston City Football Club.

Related Articles

Back to top button