Local newsNews

Angry residents burn councillor’s home

A shack called home by the ward 90 councillor was burnt to ashes by angry residents at the Vusimuzi Informal Settlement on Saturday last week.

The incident happened a week after residents went on a one day strike regarding the lack of service delivery in the area.

In the memorandum, residents demanded that their ward councillor be removed from his position as he does nothing for them.

The residents said their ward councillor allocates RDP houses to foreigners and employs people from other areas despite the unemployment in the area.

The residents demanded to meet with the Ekurhuleni mayor, Clr Mondli Gungubele, concerning their demands.

On Wednesday last week, the mayor, along with members from the Executive Committee, responded to the call.

They held a meeting together with the street committees and ward committees at the Vusimuzi Informal Settlement.

The residents reiterated their call for the ward councillor to be removed.

Clr Gungubele said he did not have the power to remove the councillor from his position.

He told residents to vote the councillor out if they were unhappy with him.

During the meeting, the police were deployed to prevent violent strikes. The Tembisa SAPS spokesperson, Constable Tebogo Sesing, said two suspects aged between 40 and 42, were arrested after the shack was burnt.

“The suspects were charged with arson. They are expected to appear in the Tembisa Magistrate’s Court,” he said.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Kempton Express in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button