MunicipalNews

Land invasion by 2 000 halted by law enforcers

The majority of those interviewed claimed they hailed from Witbank, Tembisa, Soweto and Delmas

LAW enforcers moved swiftly on Saturday after receiving information that a horde of people were in the process of illegally occupying a farm off Pretoria Road in Bapsfontein.

The EMPD Public Order Policing and First Responder Units, as well as members of the police, ensured that the land invaders did not succeed.

Lt Col Wilfred Kgasago, metro police spokesman, said the land invaders claimed they had in the past week forked out R200 each which they were made to believe was towards a water tank (R100) and land (R50).

“Furthermore, the crowd stated that a person who claimed to be from a certain political party had assured them that the land had been legally purchased. The majority of those interviewed claimed they hailed from Witbank, Tembisa, Soweto and Delmas. Apparently, the people converged on Saturday morning because of promises of sites to be cut for them,” Kgasago said.

After law enforcers had convinced the crowd that its action was illegal, the crowd dispersed peacefully.

Investigations are underway and an effort is being made to find out who the legitimate owner of this piece of land is.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Kempton Express in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button