Residents occupy open land
Tembisa community members staged a forceful occupation of an open space in Motsu Section in Tembisa.
Tembisa community members staged a forceful occupation of an open space in Motsu Section in Tembisa.
On November 19 the residents built shacks on an open space between Motsu Section and Ivory park Extension 7. They were adamant that they would not be moved for any reason.
A community leader, Mr Hector Mokhothu, said it was not the first time the shacks were set up there.
“Last week we built our shacks and the Ekurhuleni Metro Police Department (EMPD) demolished everything. This time we are not going anywhere. The municipality must tell us who owns the land if they claim it is privately owned,” said Mr Mokhothu.
He said the open space attracts criminals.
“We find dead people every weekend and there is rubbish all over from the recycling people,” he said.
He said the community fails to understand why the people trading on the open land are not removed.
“They claim they are renting the space and the nearby church says they bought a portion of the land for R2-million. When we enquire about the land from the council we get no answers,” he said.
“Open spaces are given to churches and recycling projects while we do not have places to stay. Motsu Section residents informed the EMPD of the occupation and the EMPD responded. They are claiming the shacks will affect the property and yet they allow dumping by the recycling people,” he said.
The community said a local councillor was consulted on the ownership of the space but she seemed to have no answers as to who owned the land.
The Tembisan sent a media inquiry to the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality on November 21 and requested comment by November 22 at 12-noon.
No comment has been received.
