
Although water restrictions in Gauteng were officially lifted on Monday, Ekurhuleni residents are still not off the hook.
Restrictions in the metro will only be lifted once it has been approved by council. The first opportunity council will be able to do so, will be at the monthly council meeting at the end of the month.
Sputnik Ratau, spokesperson for the National Department of Water and Sanitation, said the legal aspects of approving the announcement had been finalised and the announcement was published in the Government Gazette on Monday, March 13.
Also read:
• Water restrictions: save or pay up
Metro spokesperson Themba Gadebe said: “The Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality’s Department of Water and Sanitation will have to communicate with its stakeholders and send through an item to council for it to approve the lifting of the water restrictions. Council will have to meet to discuss the matter before communication with all stakeholders is given out.
“The water rationing will be halted immediately when the city experiences more water supply from Rand Water.”
Ward councillor André du Plessis said the decision to implement or end restrictions was made by the national department but it was the responsibility of each metro to implement this decision in their city.
“After the item to end restrictions in Ekurhuleni is approved, a statement will be sent out and only then will restrictions end.”
Du Plessis said all water restriction rules and penalties will remain in force in Ekurhuleni until the item had been officially approved by council.
The City of Joburg decided to only partially lift water restrictions to cultivate a culture of water saving among its residents. Residents are still not allowed to water their gardens between 8am and 4pm.
Joburg residents are also not allowed to use hosepipes to clean paving with municipal water.
